Jaunary 2016 PEN America Free Expression Program Internship – Russian Language Skills Required
PEN American Center is seeking an intern to support the high-profile visit of four Russian writers to the New York and Washington in January 2016. With the training and supervision of the Free Expression Program team, the intern will assist in developing events, meetings, multi-media content, and other elements of the program, as well as supporting logistics and communications.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in Russia, literature and/or public events and will be able to commit to 20 or more hours per week from Jan. 4, 2016 through Jan. 31, 2016. Spoken and written Russian sufficient for professional communications is required.
The internship will provide experience in all aspects of the planning and execution of an international advocacy program involving prominent writers, international relations and policy experts, and journalists. The intern also will be exposed to the range of activities undertaken by PEN American Center, including our free expression advocacy, literary programs, and outreach initiatives.
Applications to continue the internship at PEN through May 2016 will be considered. The intern would then participate in other Free Expression Program activities as well as learn about the operations of a non-profit organization such as membership, development, and fundraising.
· Assist with planning and implementation of a high-profile program for Russian writers
· Conduct research and prepare background materials and printed and digital content
· Support planning of public events, including engaging with vendors and venues
· Engage directly with international and US participants in program activities
· Assist on-site during the week of events Jan. 25 – Jan. 29, 2016
· Ability to work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced environment, to handle multiple tasks at once, and to adhere to deadlines
· Exemplary organizational skills with an eye for detail
· Demonstrated professionalism and superior interpersonal skills, and willingness to engage fully with the time-sensitive planning of a major event
· Written and spoken Russian sufficient for professional communications
· Interest in Russian culture
· Experience with event production and/or international delegations
Please note that this is an unpaid internship. PEN America internships include:
· Opportunities to attend or participate in a vast number of PEN American Center events
· Participation in departmental and all-staff meetings and seminars specifically for interns
· Local travel stipend
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. “Free Expression Program – Russia’’ should be specified in the subject line of the e-mail.