“MEMBERS OF PEN pledge themselves to do their utmost to dispel race, class, and national hatreds and to champion the ideal of one humanity living in peace in the world. And since freedom implies voluntary restraint, members also pledge themselves to oppose such evils of a free press as mendacious publication, deliberate falsehood, and distortion of facts for political and personal ends.” – from PEN’s Founding Charter, New York City, 1922
We need your voices and support now more than ever. We’re already seeing indications that press freedoms may be curtailed in the coming months and years. As a PEN America Member, you are at the forefront of the struggle to protect press freedom here in the U.S., and free expression around the globe.
You will be directly involved with an international community of writers, editors, translators, dramatists, screen writers, other writing professionals and readers who share your commitment to free expression, support persecuted writers, and promote literary culture.
Working together, we will defend our most precious freedoms.
PEN America Member benefits include:
- Discounts to our public programs, including the PEN World Voices Festival of International Literature
- Select invitations to exclusive members-only receptions
- A subscription to PEN America, our award-winning literary journal
- A closed Facebook group for PEN America Members, where you can post news about publications and events, and engage with other members around free expression issues and the writing life
- If you would like to give a PEN America Membership as a gift, please contact Membership and National Outreach Assistant Manyan Lai at [email protected] or (917) 790-1996.
For published or produced writers, editors, translators, dramatists, screenwriters, and other writing professionals.
For anyone who advocates for PEN America’s mission.
For students who advocate for PEN America’s mission.