“MEMBERS OF PEN pledge themselves to do their utmost to dispel race, class, and national hatreds and to champion the ideal of one humanity living in peace in the world. And since freedom implies voluntary restraint, members also pledge themselves to oppose such evils of a free press as mendacious publication, deliberate falsehood, and distortion of facts for political and personal ends.” – from PEN’s Founding Charter, New York City, 1922
Thank you so much for joining the AAP for an inspiring session that left us feeling encouraged about the future of publishing.
At AAP’s Young to Publishing Conference earlier this week many of you expressed a desire to find ways to do more to defend free expression and the open exchange of ideas. Today I can offer a powerful answer for you. I spoke with PEN America Executive Director Suzanne Nossel who is willing to extend an offer of PEN America Membership with a 20% discount for members of our group—that means $100 for professional membership instead of $125. As a member of PEN America you will have a wide range of opportunities to make your voice heard, join forces with others in the writing community, and defend free expression here in the US and globally. These include:
- Participate in Writers Resist, an open-air protests on the steps of the New York Public Library on Sunday, January 15, 2017
- Join PEN America’s petition drive (80,000 signatures and counting) on behalf of the First Amendment
- Get advice from expert staff on free speech issues and questions you encounter in your work
- Stand in solidarity with individual writers targeted for what they say and write, online and off
- Volunteer on specific PEN America projects, including online writing and editing assignments
- Attend the extraordinary line-up of PEN America events on free expression and literary topics, including The M-Word on Muslims in America and the 2017 PEN World Voices Festival on Gender and Power
- Receive daily updates on free expression challenges and threats
PEN America is in overdrive now, expanding its activities to address the breadth of free expression challenges in the moment.
To take advantage of this discount offer, click the “Join PEN” button below and become a member of PEN America. Don’t forget to use the code “AAP.” This offer exires at midnight on December 31, 2016.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Leslie Shipman at PEN: firstname.lastname@example.org
AAP DISCOUNT CODE: AAP
To receive a 20% discount, you must use the discount code.
Please contact us.
Interim Membership Manager
Direct line: 646-779-4819
Membership and Finance Assistant
Direct line: 646-779-4820
Pay by check?
Make your $100 check payable to PEN America, and mail it to:
New York, NY 10012
Please notate AAP in the memo line.