PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry ($5,000)
The PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry of $5,000 is given in odd-numbered years and alternates with the PEN/Voelcker Award for Poetry. The Osterweil Award recognizes the high literary character of the published work to date of a new and emerging American poet of any age and the promise of further literary achievement. Poets nominated for the award may not have published more than one book of poetry.
Eligibility and Nominations for the 2018 Awards
The Osterweil Award will not be offered in the 2018 awards cycle. This award will be offered again during the 2019 awards cycle for which submissions will open during mid-2018.
- A poet cannot self-nominate.
- Poets nominated for the award may not have published more than one book of poetry.
- It is not required that the book of poetry be published in the current calendar year.
- Nominators must be current Professional Members of PEN who are in good standing.
Only Professional Members of PEN who are in good standing may nominate a writer for this award. Review copies of the candidate’s work may be requested by the award judges.
When submissions for this award open again, a link to the nomination form will appear here. The nomination form will require:
1. A statement of support that describes the literary character of the candidate’s work. Most importantly, nominations should articulate the degree of promise which the nominated poet’s work indicates.
2. Detailed information on publication of the candidate’s first and only poetry collection