PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry ($5,000)
In the 2019 awards cycle, nominations for this award will be requested from current Professional Members of PEN.
The PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry is given in odd-numbered years and alternates with the PEN/Voelcker Award for Poetry. It recognizes the high literary character of the published work to date of a new and emerging American poet of any age and the promise of further literary achievement and confers upon them an award of $5,000. Poets nominated for the award may not have published more than one book of poetry.
For more information, please visit our FAQ page.
- Poets nominated for the award who have published no more than one book of poetry.
- It is not required that the book of poetry be published in the current calendar year.
- NOT eligible:
- A poet cannot nominate themselves.
- Only Professional Members of PEN who are in good standing may nominate a writer for this award. Review copies of the candidate’s work may be requested by the award judges.
- Please nominate poets here. The online submission form will require:
- A statement of support that describes the literary character of the candidate’s work. Most importantly, nominations should articulate the degree of promise which the nominated poet’s work indicates.
- Detailed information on publication of the candidate’s first and only poetry collection.