PEN Translation Prize ($3,000)
SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
PEN will only accept submissions from publishers or literary agents. Authors may not submit their own book for this award.
The PEN Translation Prize invites submissions of book-length translations from any language into English published during the current calendar year. The award confers a $3,000 prize on the author of the winning book. Click to view past winners of the PEN Translation Prize »
All winners and finalists for this award are eligible to receive PEN America’s official winner or finalist seal. If you are a publisher of a shortlisted or winning book for this award and are interested in obtaining PEN’s award seal, please write to [email protected].
Submissions for the 2019 awards cycle will be accepted from June 1, 2018 through August 15, 2018.
- Eligible titles must be original book-length literary and translations published between January 1, 2018, and December 31, 2018, by a U.S. trade publisher.
- Translators may be of any nationality; U.S. residency or citizenship is not required.
- Although all eligible books must have been published in the United States, There are no restrictions on the subject matter of translated works, although eligible titles should be of a literary character.
- Books must have one or two translators at most.
- If you submit a book for this award, you may not submit it for any additional PEN American Center awards. Please note that the PEN/Faulkner and PEN/Hemingway Awards are not considered PEN American Center awards.
- Self-published books
- Retranslations, unless the work can be said to provide a significant revision of the original translation.
- Technical, scientific, or bibliographic translations
- Books with more than two translators
- PEN will only accept submissions from publishers or literary agents; authors and translators may not submit their own book for this award.
- Please download the Declaration of Eligibility here. Complete all fields and have a company executive sign in order to confirm the book’s eligibility. If eligible, please upload this form along with the rest of your application online. If the book does not meet the listed eligibility requirements, it will not be considered for this award.
- Each submission is $75.* If you would like to pay by check, please click CHECK at checkout. Checks should be made out to PEN America. Please also submit a verified email address on the submission form; your order cannot be processed without an email address, as this info will be used to later contact you regarding the shipments of your submission. Please note that submission fees are not refundable.
- Mail one copy of the candidate’s book to the address below between June 1 and August 15, 2018. Please note that we do accept galleys and bound manuscripts:
PEN Translation Prize
588 Broadway, Suite 303
New York, NY 10012
- Once the submitted book is received and reviewed for eligibility by PEN, you will be contacted by [email protected] by the end of the year and asked to ship one copy of the book to each of our three awards judges. Please add [email protected] to your safe sender list.
* Submission fees may be waived for publishers whose annual net sales are less than $4 million. In order to have your fees waived, please have a company official write a letter on company letterhead stating that your press’s annual net sales are less than $4 million. Please send this letter as an attachment (.doc or .pdf) to [email protected]. Once received, you will be provided with a coupon code to use at checkout in order to have your submission fees waived. One fee waiver may be used for all 2019 PEN Awards; you do not need to submit a separate fee waiver for each award.
- May I submit a work-in-progress?
- No, translations-in-progress are not accepted; to submit a translation-in-progress, please see the PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grants.