PEN Translation Prize ($3,000)
PEN America will only accept submissions from publishers or literary agents. Authors may not submit their own book for this award. Book submissions will not be considered unless officially submitted via the online form AND received at the PEN America New York office with the corresponding Declaration of Eligibility.
The PEN Translation Prize invites submissions of book-length prose translations from any language into English published during the 2019 calendar year. The award confers a $3,000 prize on the author of the winning book. Click to view past winners of the PEN Translation Prize »
All winners and finalists for this award are eligible to receive PEN America’s official winner or finalist seal. If you are a publisher of a shortlisted or winning book for this award and are interested in obtaining PEN America’s award seal, please write to [email protected].
Submissions for the 2020 awards cycle will be accepted from June 1, 2019, through August 15, 2019.
- Eligible titles must be original book-length literary prose translations published between January 1, 2019, and December 31, 2019, by a U.S. trade publisher.
- Translators may be of any nationality; U.S. residency or citizenship is not required.
- Although all eligible books must have been published in the United States, There are no restrictions on the subject matter of translated works, although eligible titles should be of a literary character.
- Books must have one or two translators at most.
- If you submit a book for this award, you may not submit it for any additional PEN America Literary Awards, with the exception of the PEN Open Book Award. Please note that the PEN/Faulkner is not considered a PEN America Literary Award.
- Self-published books
- Retranslations, unless the work can be said to provide a significant revision of the original translation.
- Technical, scientific, or bibliographic translations
- Books with more than two translators
- Translations-in-progress are not accepted; to submit a translation-in-progress, please see the PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grants.
- PEN America will only accept submissions from publishers or literary agents; authors and translators may not submit their own book for this award.
- Please download the Declaration of Eligibility. Complete all fields and have a company executive sign in order to confirm the book’s eligibility. If eligible, please upload this form along with the rest of your application below. If the book does not meet the listed eligibility requirements, it will not be considered for this award.
- Each submission is $85.* If you would like to pay by check, please click CHECK at checkout. Checks should be made out to PEN America. Please also submit a verified email address on the submission form; your order cannot be processed without an email address, as this info will be used to later contact you regarding the shipments of your submission. Please note that submission fees are not refundable.
- Mail one copy of the candidate’s book to the address below between June 1 and August 15, 2019. Please note that we do accept galleys and bound manuscripts.
PEN Translation Prize
588 Broadway, Suite 303
New York, NY 10012
- Once the submitted book is received and reviewed for eligibility by PEN America, you will be contacted by [email protected] and asked to ship one copy of the book to each of our awards judges. Please add [email protected] to your safe sender list.
* Submission fees may be waived for publishers whose annual net sales are less than $2 million. In order to have your fees waived, please have a company official write a letter on company letterhead stating that your press’s annual net sales are less than $2 million. Please send this letter as an attachment (.doc or .pdf) to [email protected]. Once received, you will be provided with a coupon code to use at checkout in order to have your submission fees waived. One fee waiver may be used for all 2020 PEN America Awards; you do not need to submit a separate fee waiver for each award.