Something To Declare: Celebrating Writers Of Color
October 16, 2006 | The Donnell Library Center | NYC
This year’s event recognized the accomplishments of the 2006 PEN/Beyond Margins Award winners: Richard Blanco, author of Directions to the Beach of the Dead; Andrew Lam, author of Perfume Dreams: Reflections on the Vietnamese Diaspora; Ed Bok Lee, author of Real Karaoke People; Caryl Phillips, author of Dancing in the Dark; and Jennifer Tseng, author of The Man With My Face.
The PEN/Beyond Margins Award celebrates outstanding books by writers of color published in the United States during the previous year and seeks to encourage racial and ethnic diversity within the literary community. The works of this year’s Beyond Margins Award recipients are about the complex beauty of the places we call home and the cultural contraband we take with us when we go.
Copyright © 2007 Beowulf Sheehan/PEN American Center
• Entire event (1:14:04)
• Introductions by Ron Chernow, Elizabeth Nunez, and Sonia Sanchez (6:50)
• Russell Banks reading Andrew Lam (9:45)
• Russell Banks reading Richard Blanco (3:56)
• Lili Taylor reading Ed Bok Lee (6:38)
• Lili Taylor reading Jennifer Tseng (2:25)
• Jessica Hagedorn reading Caryl Phillips (6:05)
• Conversation with Richard Blanco, Ed Bok Lee, Andrew Lam, and Sonia Sanchez (37:19)