Celebrating Freedom: Two Decades of Evolving Media
*THIS IS NOT A PEN-SPONSORED EVENT*
This year, the International Press Institute (IPI) celebrates the 20th anniversary of its last Congress in Cape Town, on the eve of the historic all-race elections. We are gathering the stalwarts of press freedom from around the world to not only celebrate historical transformations (both in media industry and South Africa), but also to face the future, make the predictions and focus attention on new challenges and solutions for the media profession today.
We will have some of the most important and influential media professionals to help us explore a number of hot topics, including:
- The New South Africa: A Look at the Media Landscape and Press Freedom 20 Years On
- The Whistleblower and the Journalist – How Current Events Affect Press Freedom and the People’s Right to Know
- Power Stakes – The Role of China in the Developing World
- Photojournalism and Media Access
- When the War on Terror Puts Journalists Behind Bars
- Criminal Defamation and Insult Laws – Why Leaders Won’t Budge
We have many issues to discuss and many reasons to celebrate, and we have a lot to offer in Cape Town:
- 11 panel sessions
- Launch of the commemorative book with testimonies written and presented by IPI’s living African Press Freedom Heroes
- Presentation of the IPI Free Media Pioneer Award and the IPI World Press Freedom Hero Award
- One-day Workshop: “Advanced Research on the Web” (in collaboration with Media24, Intajour, and the Ford Foundation)
- International Press Freedom Cartoon Exhibition
- Interesting evening programmes and cultural events, including a special tribute to Nelson Mandela.
We will celebrate freedom using different media and different forms of expression: dialogue and discussion, cartoons, photography and graffiti, music and dance. Come prepared to explore, to meet new friends, to learn, and to get motivated! Cape Town awaits you.
Congress registration fee
Members: $ 1069
Non-Members: $ 1311
Accompanying Persons: $ 552
Reduced rates available until 15 March! This is a conference that you don’t want to miss—register here.
If you have a question, a comment or a suggestion – please contact our team. You can also contact us through social media or IPI’s websites: Twitter, Facebook, www.ipiworldcongress.com, www.freemedia.at