PEN/Robert J. Dau Short Story Prize for Emerging Writers ($2,000 to 12 writers)
PEN will only accept submissions from editors of eligible publications. Authors may not submit their own short story for this award.
The PEN/Robert J. Dau Short Story Prize for Emerging Writers recognizes twelve emerging fiction writers each year for their debut short story published in a literary magazine or cultural website last year and aims to support the launch of their careers as fiction writers. Each of the twelve winning writers receives a cash prize of $2,000 and the independent book publisher Catapult will publish the twelve winning stories in an annual anthology entitled The PEN America Best Debut Short Stories, which will acknowledge the literary magazines and websites where the stories were originally published.
For more information, please visit our FAQ page.
Submissions for 2019 Awards
Submissions for the 2019 Awards cycle will be accepted from June 1, 2018 through November 10, 2018.
- Submissions from editors of eligible publications. Authors may not submit their own work.
- Stories must have been published in (or forthcoming) in 2018.
- Participating publications may be online magazines, print magazines distributed in the U.S., or cultural websites.
- Editors from eligible publications may only submit an author’s debut short story. A debut story is defined as the writer’s first short story publication that has undergone an editorial review process and been accepted and published by a publication that the author is not professionally associated with.
- Editors from eligible publications may submit up to four eligible stories from eligible authors in a given award year.
- Editors from eligible publications may submit short stories that are up to 12,000 words in length.
- The editor and author must agree to the award’s declaration of eligibility and consent, which outlines serial rights for Catapult’s forthcoming anthology.
- PEN will only accept submissions from editors of eligible publications.
- Authors may not submit their own short story for this award.
- Editors from eligible publications must download and complete the award’s declaration of eligibility and consent.
Complete the online Submittable form.
Are writers still eligible if they have published poetry and/or nonfiction before?
Yes. As long as the story submitted is a first published work of fiction, the writer is eligible for this award.
The story I plan to submit does not fit the exact formatting specifications (Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, double-spaced). Do I need to reformat?
We understand that many literary journals publish stories according to their formatting conventions and that therefore, the style of the PDFs does not conform to the formatting specifications. If the copy is legible online and in hard copy, you do not need to reformat.
We would like to nominate an author who had a short story published on another online magazine almost simultaneously. We accepted the writer’s story first, but the magazine published their work first. Which publication is eligible to submit?
Under normal circumstances, we would consider whichever work was readable to the public first as the “debut story.” If, however, the timing is too close to call, please have a discussion with the other publisher and decide which journal should submit to the prize and consult with the author. If this situation presents itself as an issue, please write to [email protected] for more clarification.
An author has published work on a blog or as a part of a school project, is he or she eligible?
An author would only be ineligible if he or she had a previous original publication with a literary magazine, journal, or cultural website.
The author I wish to nominate has a piece that was accepted to our magazine in 2018, but the story will be published in 2019, can I still submit his or her work for the 2019 awards cycle?
For the 2019 awards, stories must be published in 2018 to be considered eligible. If the story is published in 2019, you may submit it for the 2020 awards cycle.
Can I submit galleys from our forthcoming Fall or Winter issue?
Yes. You may submit galleys for forthcoming stories as long as they are formally published by the end of the required year.
I have had one story published before, but it was in a tiny journal that is not listed in your list of publications. Can I still be nominated?
It depends. The only exceptions we are open to are authors who have published in a foreign-language literary journal before their first official American publication. Please email us at [email protected] with the name of your journal.
If an author has only published one short story during his/her career but has had some writing published on a blog/kindle/has self published/etc, does that in any way interfere with the author’s eligibility for this prize?
Please email us at [email protected] with the number of copies sold and the year it was self-published and we will let you know.
We’re publishing a debut short story as an ebook. Do you accept galleys?
An author would be ineligible if they were published in a book with a press.
Would a creative non-fiction story eligible for entry in the Dau Short Story prize contest, or fiction only?
No, the Dau Short Story prize is for works of fiction only.
Are the writers signing a contract with Catapult for 1st North American rights? Does this contract include digital rights?
Writers would sign with Catapult for non-exclusive, second serial rights for print and digital. All other rights will be retained by the author. It’ll be as author-friendly as it can get.