PEN/John Kenneth Galbraith Award for Nonfiction ($10,000)
This biennial prize of $10,000 will go to the author of a distinguished book of general nonfiction possessing notable literary merit and critical perspective and illuminating important contemporary issues which has been published in the United States during the previous two calendar years. The book should possess the qualities of intellectual rigor and importance, perspicuity of expression, and stylistic elegance conspicuous in the writings of author and economist John Kenneth Galbraith, whose four dozen books and countless other publications continue to provide an important and incisive commentary on the American social, intellectual and political scene. This award is offered in odd-numbered years.
All winners and finalists for this award are eligible to receive PEN America’s official winner or finalist seal. If you are a publisher of a shortlisted or winning book for this award and are interested in obtaining PEN’s award seal, please write to email@example.com.
Eligibility and Submissions for the 2017 Awards
Submissions for the 2017 awards closed on August 15, 2016. This award will be offered again during the 2019 awards cycle for which submissions will open in mid-2018.
Who Is Eligible
- Submissions are only accepted from publishers and literary agents; authors may not submit their own work.
- A candidate’s book of nonfiction must have been published in the United States between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2016 (the two years prior to the award cycle year)
- Candidates need not be U.S. residents.
- Biographies, autobiographies, and memoirs are not accepted.
- Self-published books are not eligible.
- If you submit a book for this award, you may not submit it for any additional PEN American Center awards. Please note that the PEN/Faulkner and PEN/Hemingway Awards are not PEN America awards.
How To Apply
1. Please download and print the award’s Declaration of Eligibility. Complete all fields and have a company executive sign the form in order to confirm the book’s eligibility. If eligible, please mail this form along with one copy of the book to PEN’s office (see step 3). If the book does not meet all of the eligibility criteria, the book will not be considered for this award.
2. When submissions open for this award, a link to its online submission form will appear here. Each submission is $75*. If you would like to pay by check, please enter CHECK in the coupon code field at checkout. Checks should be made out to PEN American Center. Please also submit a verified email address on the submission form; your order cannot be processed without an email address, as this info will be used to later contact you regarding the shipments of your submission. Please note that submission fees are not refundable.
3. Mail one copy of the candidate’s book along with the book’s completed Declaration of Eligibility (see step 1) to the address below between June 1 and August 15, 2016. Please note that we also accept galleys and bound manuscripts.
PEN/John Kenneth Galbraith Award for Nonfiction
PEN American Center
588 Broadway, Suite 303
New York, NY 10012
4. Once the submitted book is received and reviewed for eligibility by PEN, you will be contacted by firstname.lastname@example.org by then end of the year and asked to ship one copy of the book to each of our three awards judges. Please add email@example.com to your safe sender list.
*Submission fees may be waived for publishers whose annual net sales are less than $4 million. In order to have your dues waived, please have a company official write a letter on company letterhead stating that your press’ annual net sales are less than $4 million. Please send this letter as an attachment (.doc or .pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once received, you will be provided with a coupon code to use at check-out in order to have your submission fees waived. One fee waiver may be used for all 2017 PEN Awards; publishers do not need to submit separate fee waivers for each PEN award.