PEN/Jacqueline Bograd Weld Award for Biography ($5,000)
The PEN/Jacqueline Bograd Weld Award for Biography is awarded for excellence in the art of biography. This prize of $5,000 will go to the author of a distinguished work published in the United States during the previous calendar year. The winning title should be a work of exceptional literary, narrative and artistic merit, based on scrupulous research.
All winners and finalists for this award are eligible to receive PEN America’s official winner or finalist seal. If you are a publisher of a shortlisted or winning book for this award and are interested in obtaining PEN’s award seal, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility and Submissions for the 2017 Awards
Submissions for the 2017 awards closed on August 15, 2016. This award will be offered again during the 2018 awards cycle for which submissions will open in mid-2017.
Who is eligible
- A candidate’s book of nonfiction must have been published in the United States between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
- Books must be works by an author about another figure; neither memoir nor autobiography is eligible.
- Candidates need not be U.S. residents.
- PEN will only accept submissions from publishers, editors, and agents.
- Self-published books are not eligible.
- If you submit a book for this award, you may not submit it for any additional PEN American Center awards. Please note that the PEN/Faulkner and PEN/Hemingway Awards are not considered PEN American Center awards.
How to apply
1. Please download the award’s Declaration of Eligibility. Complete all fields and have a company executive sign in order to confirm the book’s eligibility. If eligible, please mail this form along with one copy of the book to PEN’s office (see step 3). If the book does not meet all of the listed eligibility requirements, the book will not be considered for this award.
2. When submissions open for this award, a link to its online submission form will appear here. Each submission is $75*. If you would like to pay by check, please enter CHECK in the coupon code field at checkout. Checks should be made out to PEN American Center. Please also submit a verified email address on the submission form; your order cannot be processed without an email address, as this info will be used to later contact you regarding the shipments of your submission. Please note that submission fees are not refundable.
3. Mail one copy of the candidate’s book along with the completed Declaration of Eligibilty (see step 1) to the address below between June 1 and August 15, 2016. Please note that we do accept galleys and bound manuscripts:
PEN/Jacqueline Bograd Weld Award for Biography
PEN American Center
588 Broadway, Suite 303
New York, NY 10012
4. Once the submitted book is received and reviewed for eligibility by PEN, you will be contacted by email@example.com before the end of the year and be asked to ship one copy of the book to each of our three awards judges. Please be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe sender list.
*Submission fees may be waived for publishers whose annual net sales are less than $4 million. In order to have your dues waived, please have a company official write a letter on company letterhead stating that your press’ annual net sales are less than $4 million. Please send this letter as an attachment (.doc or .pdf) to email@example.com. Once received, you will be provided with a coupon code to use at check-out in order to have your submission fees waived. One fee waiver may be used for all 2017 PEN Awards; you do not need to submit a separate fee waiver for each award.