PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay ($10,000)
The PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay aims to preserve the dignity and esteem that the essay form imparts to literature. The winner receives a cash award of $10,000 and will be honored at the PEN Literary Awards.
There are no restrictions on the subject matter of the essays; books are judged solely on the basis of literary character and distinction of writing, and equal consideration is given to the work of both renowned essayists and more recently established writers. Essays may deal either with a range of subjects or may explore one specific theme, but the book, taken as a whole, should be a series of individual essays, not conceived as a single booklength work of nonfiction. Individual essays included in books may have been previously published in magazines, journals, or anthologies.
In 1991 PEN Member and author Barbaralee Diamonstein and Carl Spielvogel, former New York Times columnist, founded the PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay to preserve the dignity and esteem that the essay form imparts to literature. The award took a hiatus from 2005-2010.
All winners and finalists for this award are eligible to receive PEN America’s official winner or finalist seal. If you are a publisher of a shortlisted or winning book for this award and are interested in obtaining PEN’s award seal, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility and Submissions for the 2017 Awards
Submissions for the 2017 awards closed on August 15, 2016. This award will be offered again during the 2018 awards cycle for which submissions will open in mid-2017.
Who is eligible
- PEN will only accept submissions from publishers or literary agents; authors may not submit their own book for this award.
- Eligible titles must have been published by a U.S. trade publisher between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
- Candidates must be permanent U.S. residents or American citizens.
- There are no restrictions on the candidate’s age or on the style of his or her work.
- Self-published books are not eligible.
- If you submit a book for this award, you may not submit it for any additional PEN American Center awards. Please note that the PEN/Faulkner and PEN/Hemingway Awards are not considered PEN American Center awards.
How to apply
1. Please download the award’s Declaration of Eligibility. Complete all fields and have a company executive sign in order to confirm the book’s eligibility. If eligible, please mail this form along with one copy of the book to PEN’s office (see step 3).
2. When submissions open for this award, a link to its online submission form will appear here. Each submission is $75*. If you would like to pay by check, please enter CHECK in the coupon code field at checkout. Checks should be made out to PEN American Center. Please also submit a verified email address on the submission form; your order cannot be processed without an email address, as this info will be used to later contact you regarding the shipments of your submission. Please note that submission fees are not refundable.
3. Mail one copy of the candidate’s book along with the Declaration of Eligiblity (see step 1) to the address below between June 1 and August 15, 2016. Please note that we also accept galleys and bound manuscripts.
PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay
PEN American Center
588 Broadway, Suite 303
New York, NY 10012
4. Once the submitted book is received and reviewed for eligibility by PEN, you will be contacted by email@example.com before the end of the year and asked to ship one copy of the book to each of our four awards judges. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe sender list.
*Submission fees may be waived for publishers whose annual net sales are less than $4 million. In order to have your dues waived, please have a company official write a letter on company letterhead stating that your press’ annual net sales are less than $4 million. Please send this letter as an attachment (.doc or .pdf) to email@example.com. Once received, you will be provided with a coupon code to use at check-out in order to have your submission fees waived. One fee waiver may be used for all 2017 PEN Awards; you do not need to submit a separate fee waiver for each award.