Unpacking the Media Coverage of LGBTQ Public Health Issues
The South Florida chapter for NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists and PEN America Miami/South Florida on Friday, February 10 from 7-8 p.m. ET at ArtServe located at 1350 East Sunrise Boulevard Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 for Crucial Context: Unpacking Media Coverage of LGBTQ Public Health Issues.
This moderator-led conversation took a hard look at media coverage on public health issues affecting queer communities including, but not limited to: the 2022 monkeypox outbreak, access (and barriers) to gender-affirming healthcare, and ramifications of state-sanctioned targeting of drag performers. A brief Q&A session followed the panel as well as a happy hour reception.
This event was free and open to the public.
- Kareem Awadalla, Broadcaster and documentary filmmaker
- Daniel Chang, Correspondent for Kaiser Health News, reporting on health care in Florida and the South
- Ashley Dye, Audience director for Marshall Project
- Fenit Nirappil, Public health reporter for Washington Post
- Benjamin Ryan, National freelance public health reporter focusing on LGBTQ issues
- Nic Zantop, Deputy director for TransInclusive Group
Sponsors: PEN America, SPJ Florida, Our Fund Foundation, South Florida Gay News
This project was made possible by: