PEN America, a nonprofit organization working at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a skilled video editor/producer to help power our digital channels. This is a key role in our communications department, and one that operates across our vibrant and creative organization to advance advocacy campaigns, celebrate literary excellence, and support public programming. PEN America is a fast-paced, expanding organization with a growing public profile and range of activities. For nearly 100 years, we have defended writers under threat and advocated in defense of free expression rights, and our work now in the United States and globally feels as urgent and essential as it ever has. This is a full-time position based at PEN America’s New York City headquarters and reports to the editorial director.
The video editor/producer will use short-form video to build and engage PEN America’s community of writers and readers and mobilize new allies. The ideal candidate will be equipped to develop and implement visual strategies and assets to heighten our online presence in the most provocative and current debates on free expression and in the conversation on writers, books, publishing, and the literary world. The video editor/producer should have a demonstrated understanding of the mechanics, dynamics, and analytics of social media, and be able to produce compelling short videos to assist with growing our audiences. The ideal candidate will be a skilled storyteller who can convert PEN America’s initiatives and programs into clear, concise messaging for marketing and sharing.
For a proven and highly motivated innovator, this position will provide an opportunity to stand at the forefront of efforts to defend the First Amendment, champion literary expression, and elevate diverse voices in pursuit of open discourse. Taking up this role will mean embracing a wide range of tools to build constituencies, reach audiences, and advance messages. Responsiveness, availability, and flexibility to perform some night and weekend work are required.
In alignment with PEN America’s current policy, all applicants should be available to report to the office at least three days per week. This policy is subject to change.
Implement PEN America’s visual social media strategy
- Execute social media video strategy that advances our advocacy, free expression, and literary programming
- Assist with timely and on-message social media engagement opportunities in current events and across the literary landscape, with a focus on free expression
- Create visual assets that engage users with the organization’s mission and programs, and integrate key events on the PEN America calendar
- Create basic animated graphics and short videos that optimize reach and engagement, and increase followers and traffic to pen.org
- Post-production of digital assets and creation of social media toolkits supplied to partners and influencers, as needed
- Check for alignment and consistency among social media content produced for/by PEN America
- Work with partners stakeholders around the country to create video assets for social media
- Source, curate, create and edit all written and visual content for video publishing—Research the competitive landscape to identify seasonal trends, strategic initiatives, best practices, and social innovation
- Develop, prioritize, and pitch social/digital ideas that align with editorial objectives and brand storytelling
Manage outbound Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram content to grow PEN America’s social following and reach
- Direct, shoot and edit compelling video content for all social media platforms (Instagram Reels, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook) to build brand awareness, drive engagement, and increase followership
- Produce compelling, shareable, on-mission short videos for social media platforms
- Monitor notifications to optimize engagement and identify potentially sensitive issues
- Assist program staff with digital advertising initiatives on Facebook, including creation of text and visual creative. Monitor, report, and analyze weekly social media data to identify and implement best practices that optimize engagement and expand reach
- Ensure live social media presence at PEN America events as needed
All PEN America staff are considered to be stakeholders in the development of our shared organization. As such, staff play a role in varied activities within the workplace as part of their job responsibilities. These may include committees or task forces to work on office issues, diversity and inclusion, strategy projects, training or other initiatives.
- Expert in videography, editing with Adobe Premiere and After Effects, and basic audio recording and postproduction
- Advanced knowledge of web video distribution for social media platforms
- Ability to write and edit descriptions and on-screen captions for video content
- Self-motivated and able to execute high-quality work under tight deadlines with minimal oversight
- Two to three years of progressively responsible professional experience successfully developing and executing beginning-to-end social media campaigns in accordance with an organization-wide editorial calendar
- Innovative, digitally savvy, and extremely detailed-oriented approach
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated ability to draft pithy, on-message content tailored for peak performance across multiple social media platforms
- Formidable work ethic and energy level, enabling management of multiple simultaneous projects and deadlines
- Training, knowledge, and intellectual fortitude to quickly absorb complex, politically sensitive, and culturally nuanced debates and position PEN America appropriately in both message and tone
- Strong storytelling capabilities with the ability to transform information into visual (video, photo, and graphic) and interactive executions
- Graphic design skills and fluency with design software including Photoshop, Premiere (or similar), and Canva strongly preferred
- Exemplary team player who can work independently to manage multiple simultaneous projects through to completion
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and full benefits. The salary range for this position is $60-65k, commensurate with experience. Candidates whose expectations are outside this range are welcome to apply, as PEN America is open to considering talented individuals at varying stages of their careers. PEN America’s benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision health insurance, paid time off, 10 paid holidays, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 403b retirement plan.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three examples of short-form video you have created to [email protected]. Use “Video Editor/Producer” with your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Video Editor/Producer – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
ABOUT PEN AMERICA:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.