Video Editing and Social Media Internship
PEN America seeks a motivated intern to work with our communications team. The intern will help to advance the organization’s literary and advocacy programs and campaigns through media relations, brand-building, social media, public relations, and digital marketing. The candidate will develop skills and gain real-world experience in an exciting, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial environment.
PEN America’s internships offer a unique opportunity to learn more about the literary community and human rights advocacy in the United States and around the world. Communications interns are exposed to a diverse range of programming and departments and are involved with projects that help prepare those interested in careers in marketing, public affairs, journalism, graphic design, video production, publishing, and the nonprofit sector at large. The intern will work closely with PEN America’s Video Editor/Producer.
This internship will operate from our headquarters in New York City and will be primarily on-site during normal business hours. Paid internships are available through our Centenary Internship program and would require a commitment of 15-20 hours/week over 6 months, and would pay $17/hour for hours worked. Internships are also eligible for college credit.
Interns will assist with a variety of work, including but not limited to:
- Working closely with PEN America’s Video Editor/Producer and Communications department on short and long-form videos that support organization initiatives, campaigns, and promotions
- Pre-production tasks, including but not limited to:
- Conducting research
- Planning and storyboarding
- Video production tasks, including but not limited to:
- Location setup
- Assisting in the operation of lights, audio, and camera support equipment
- Post-production tasks, including but not limited to:
- Video editing
- Audio synchronization
- Adding effects, titles and lower thirds to video content
- Captioning and crediting video content
- Organizing and archiving video content
- Identifying video clips for social media content creation
- Identifying royalty-free music options for video content
- Identifying images and video footage for video content b-roll
- Publishing videos to video channels
The ideal candidate will have:
- School or work experience in video production, journalism, public relations, communications, marketing, and/or multimedia
- Interest in current events, international affairs, human rights, literature, and/or arts and culture
- Understanding of, or eagerness to learn about, video content creation
- Social video-minded and up-to-date on the latest internet trends
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience shooting with DSLR cameras is desirable, but not required
- Experience with Adobe Suite, specifically Adobe Premiere Pro, is desirable, but not required
- Interest in learning new skills and the flexibility to pitch in when needed
- Summer Internship: Please submit your application between February and May
- Fall Internship: Please submit your application between July and September
- Winter/Spring Internship: Please submit your application between October and January
Please submit a cover letter and resume or CV to Video Editor/Producer, Damarcus Adisa, at [email protected]. While a video portfolio is not mandatory for this internship, if available, please include links to your work in your application email. Additionally, please include the cycle you’re applying for, and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Winter/Spring Communications Internship – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America does not discriminate in its selection practices, and in order to build the strongest possible team, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.