Special Events Assistant (Short Term)
PEN America, a vibrant and fast-paced organization standing at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks an ambitious, professional, dynamic, and experienced individual with exceptional organizational, speaking, and writing skills to assist in managing PEN America’s Annual Literary Gala and provide support for the management of a series of literary dinners.
This temporary position from February–June 2018 will support the planning and execution of special events including, but not limited to: setting and preparing for meetings; drafting follow-up documents and correspondence; in-person and telephone outreach to some of PEN America’s most significant stakeholders.
- Provide support for solicitation outreach
- Coordinate design and distribution of digital outreach materials
- Assist with database and finance department reconciliation
- Manage meeting calendars and agendas
- Assist in solicitation outreach to potential table and ticket buyers
- Track RSVPs, financial commitments, and carry out follow up
- Support Committee members with correspondence and material for donor outreach
- Manage event website in tandem with communications department
- Help manage day-of event needs, logistics, staffing
- Recruit and manage special events interns
- Secure meetings as necessary for members of development department
- Coordinate day-of event volunteer tasks and oversee volunteers in the execution of their tasks
- Assist with development mailings
- Other duties as assigned by the executive director, director of institutional advancement, and senior manager of institutional advancement for special events
- Excellent judgment, strong decision-making abilities
- Collaborative and results-oriented approach
- Poise, polish, and discretion
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills
- Enthusiasm, commitment to excellence, self-motivation
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- The ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to work outside normal working hours
- Direct experience with fund-raising operations and administration preferred
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office suite including Publisher; knowledge of DonorPerfect, familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, In-Design, and Illustrator a plus
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience in a fast-paced development environment or similar high energy, deadline-oriented work environment.
- Salary range is between $35,000–45,000 depending upon experience, annualized for five-month period
- Kindly apply only if these salary and other parameters are a close fit
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current U.S. work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date. Diverse candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter, resume, an unedited writing sample, as well as the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to [email protected] Please use “Special Events Assistant” and your name as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.