Senior Manager, Individual Giving
PEN America, a nonprofit organization working at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks an experienced, energetic fundraiser skilled in cultivating and stewarding supporters to serve as the senior manager for individual giving in its expanding development department. This is a full-time position based at PEN America’s New York City headquarters.
The individual giving senior manager will work closely with the chief development officer and the director of development to assist with all individual giving, including the annual fund; donor and prospect cultivation; year-end direct mail and online campaigns; prospect research; correspondence; and cultivation and stewardship of donors. Additionally, the individual giving senior manager will oversee our burgeoning Young Patrons program, working to build our growing young donor base.
This is a key role in our development department, working in coordination with supporters of programs and projects across the organization. The incumbent will gain expanded expertise in the strategies, tools and innovations utilized to develop funding initiatives for a mission-driven organization, and take on increasing responsibility for attracting individual donors and stewarding relationships with them.
- Develop and implement systems for donor and prospect research and moves management, and conduct all aspects of the fundraising pipeline process
- Coordinate and ensure effective correspondence with current and prospective donors
- Review and track the CEO’s donor meetings, in collaboration with with her executive assistant
- Assist with donor cultivation and stewardship at in-person events and through the use of the database and other tools to ensure timely correspondence and systematic, sequenced follow-up
- Support planning and execution of year-end appeal and other online fundraising campaigns
- Coordinate with Communications, Free Expression Programs, Literary Programs, and Membership and National Engagement departments on messaging for campaigns
- Coordinate cultivation events for individual donors
- Manage the Young Patrons program
- Assist with Authors’ Evenings, Gala, and other fundraising events as needed
- Oversee tracking of pledges and payments for individual and major donors
- 3 to 4 years of experience in a nonprofit development office, preferably with experience in individual giving and appeals
- Demonstrated understanding of donor management and the ability to handle relationships with stakeholders with tact and maturity
- Ambitious work ethic and ability to work both autonomously and as part of departmental or cross-departmental team
- Familiarity and comfort with databases and other digital tools supporting Development and Finance functions. Experience with Blackbaud (Raiser’s Edge) a plus.
- Experience preparing and implementing online fundraising campaigns. Nonprofit development marketing experience, a plus.
- Strong ability to communicate in writing in a range of forms and contexts
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, with zealous attention to detail
- Commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture
- An interest in PEN America’s mission and in joining a fast-paced, growing nonprofit organization
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references to [email protected]. Please use “Individual Giving Senior Manager” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Individual Giving Senior Manager – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
ABOUT PEN AMERICA:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.