Recruitment and Talent Specialist
PEN America, a growing nonprofit organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a resourceful and detailed-oriented recruitment and talent specialist to join our human resources department. This role will identify and attract talented employees to PEN America’s expanding staff roster at its offices in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles. The environment is fast-paced, creative, and mission-driven. This is a full-time position based in New York.
Reporting to the director of human resources, the recruitment and talent specialist will focus on sourcing talent and managing the entire recruitment and interview process. The successful candidate will be responsible for strategizing and optimizing recruitment operations to efficiently fill vacancies and maintain a qualified talent pool. The role requires creative approaches, steadfast determination, and a discerning process to attract exceptional staff for a range of roles including in advocacy and research, literary programming, communications, finance, development and administration. Collaboration with departments and teams across the organization is required to ensure their recruitment needs are met. A firm commitment to maintaining the diversity of PEN America’s staff is essential.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator and multi-tasker who can work both independently and as part of a team. They will bring an innovative and analytical mindset and will partner with leadership on best practices to improve or enhance existing hiring processes and ensure a pleasant, productive experience for both candidates and hiring managers.
- Conduct successful searches for candidates for open positions, and manage the recruitment process from start to onboarding
- Liaise internally with departmental stakeholders and externally with candidates and staffing agencies to develop an employer brand for PEN America to further attract and retain qualified candidates
- Prepare job descriptions that accurately reflect the skills and competencies required for vacant positions
- Post job descriptions to job boards and ensure they are appropriately refreshed and monitored
- Identify, develop, and maintain relationships with universities and other talent pipelines to expand applicant pool and promote diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives for jobs and internships
- Represent PEN America at job fairs and other hiring events to network with potential candidates
- Manage the jobs inbox to screen resumes and cover letters
- Track status of applications and be the first point of contact for hiring managers and applicants during the hiring process
- Support collection and analysis of recruitment data and metrics (i.e. source of hire, time to fill position) in order to further optimize hiring processes
- Schedule and conduct phone screenings and onsite/video interviews with candidates as needed by the various departments
- Draft correspondence informing candidates of hiring decisions
- Periodical training of managing directors and hiring managers on hiring practices
- Support training and onboarding of new staff as needed
- Other duties and projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with two to five years of solid work experience as a recruiter; Experience recruiting for positions in an advocacy-focused or nonprofit organization preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of employee recruitment techniques and best practices
- Understanding of job specifications and requirements and knowledge of how to craft job descriptions with them in mind
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Demonstrated professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and apply discretion in professional and personal dealings
- Strong organizational, analytical, time-management and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and work collaboratively
- Enthusiastic and people oriented
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- An interest in PEN America’s work and in joining a fast-paced, growing nonprofit organization
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and a full range of benefits.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application as one PDF to [email protected]. Please use “Recruitment and Talent Specialist” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Recruitment and Talent Specialist – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.