Part-Time Programs Coordinator, Los Angeles
PEN America, a non-profit organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a creative, dynamic, proactive, and detail-oriented part-time Programs Coordinator to support the day-to-day operations of the PEN America Los Angeles programs and events team.
The Programs Coordinator will provide support in areas including administration, original content creation, copywriting and editing, social media management, calendaring, outreach, research, and more. Work efforts include, but are not limited to, the Emerging Voices Fellowship, PEN in the Community, as well as all public events. Reporting to the Program Managers, the Programs Coordinator will be based in Beverly Hills. The successful candidate will be an integral part of a close-knit, mission-driven staff in a professional environment. This candidate understands tight deadlines and is able to coordinate with a network of internal and external partners to assist with projects.
- Coordinate and update the public events calendar in collaboration with National Outreach, Free Expression, and Membership Departments
- Assist with the creation and printing of graphic assets and marketing materials; proofread materials and manage timelines
- Assist in researching prospective authors, journalists, and educators and their work and associated issues for the curatorial team
- Assist with the execution of public events, from participation in planning through content creation, marketing/communications, ticketing, talent hospitality, invoicing, house management at host venues, and post-event follow-up, to ensure a seamless experience for participants, audience, staff, and volunteers
- Represent PEN America at literary events and readings that offer networking, partnerships, and outreach opportunities
- Contribute ideas for innovative programming that help draw new audiences and cultivate new stakeholders
- Work with the Emerging Voices Fellowship Manager to coordinate all aspects of the current fellowship cycle, including mentor curation, Author Evenings, UCLA classes, public readings, printed materials, invoicing, evaluations, scheduling, and email support
- Help build and maintain strong relationships with new and established partners and sponsors including venues, partner organizations, and media
- Coordinate hiring and training of interns and volunteers for the Los Angeles office
- Coordinate across departments to set and maintain programming calendar
- Bachelor’s degree and strong academic credentials
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, G-Suite and some design experience (Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) a must; familiarity with WordPress and donor CRMs a plus
- Experience in programs coordination, event planning, and production
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Formidable work ethic and high energy level, with ability to multitask effectively
- Ease with social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Hootsuite
- Superb organizational and process management skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively and collaboratively
- Interest in PEN America’s free expression mission, literature, and the local literary community
- Exemplary team player with a professional demeanor and the ability to work proactively and independently
- Available to work some nights and weekends
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter directly addressing specific requirements for the position as outlined above, a resume, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to [email protected] as a single PDF. Please use “Programs Coordinator Los Angeles” with your name as the subject of your email (e.g., Programs Coordinator Los Angeles — Jane Doe). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.