Assistant, PEN America Los Angeles
PEN America, a nonprofit organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a proactive and detail-oriented assistant to support the work and operations of PEN America Los Angeles. This is a full-time position based in Los Angeles; the work is currently conducted remotely but will be in-office when health protocols permit.
The assistant will work closely with the PEN America Los Angeles team on the full spectrum of activities conducted by PEN America in the region, including literary programs, author and member events, free expression advocacy initiatives, and fundraising efforts. The role involves providing administrative and logistical support for programming, public events, and the office; preparing correspondence; conducting research; and engaging with PEN America’s Members, donors, and partners in Los Angeles, headquarters in New York City, and supporters nationwide.
The successful candidate has a problem-solving mindset and an energetic approach, with one to two years of professional experience and an interest in PEN America’s focus areas. The role will be fundamental to building PEN America’s Los Angeles office and expanding activities in Southern California. PEN America Los Angeles offers the opportunity to be part of a mission-driven organization with a strong, positive organizational culture, a fascinating array of programs involving writers and human rights advocates, and constituents across the United States and around the world. The role offers the opportunity to develop professionally in nonprofit administration, program management, public programming, and advocacy.
- Produce polished letters, memos, agendas, and other written materials
- Support fundraising, including gift processing, drafting of donor acknowledgment letters, event support, and prospect research
- Track action items and work plans to ensure initiatives are progressing
- Conduct research and collect information to inform programs, presentations, and partnerships
- Ensure a well-functioning work environment, initially remotely, including liaising with vendors, venues, and other services
- One to two years of professional experience, preferably in a support role at a nonprofit organization or business
- Interest in literature, human rights, and/or advocacy
- Excellent written communication skills
- Attention to detail with capacity to organize, track, and systematize information
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure, and to handle a variety of assignments simultaneously
- Professionalism and effective interpersonal skills
- Experience supporting a board of directors or advisory committee a plus
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or other donor database a plus
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references. Submit the entire application to [email protected]. Please use “LA Assistant” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “LA Assistant – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.