PEN America, a nonprofit organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a manager of development operations to support the growing data and operational needs of the development department. This new position will be responsible for maximizing the development department’s use of its Raiser’s Edge database in collaboration with the special events, individual giving, and foundations teams as well as the finance department. This is a full-time position based at PEN America’s New York City headquarters and reports to the director of development.
The development manager will be responsible for ensuring the integrity of donor data and creating reports, analyzing data, pulling queries, and performing financial reconciliations for department activities as well as with the finance department. This position will also be responsible for a range of other operational requirements, including maintaining the PEN America’s state charity registrations, as well as assisting the chief development officer and director of development with ongoing fundraising initiatives and strategies.
This position will be central to the growth of the development department, ensuring our fundraising efforts are data-driven and systematic. The role works closely with the organization-wide database administrator, who is responsible for maximizing use of data for fundraising, communications, membership, programming, advocacy and other initiatives, as well as the overall health of our data across the institution.
The ideal candidate will have experience with Raiser’s Edge and other data tools and value maximizing their capabilities. The role requires an organized, detail-oriented, and process-driven thinker who solves problems, shares knowledge, and enjoys improving systems and processes.
- Maintain the accuracy and completeness of donor data
- Manage the Raiser’s Edge NXT database to maintain accurate and comprehensive data on constituents and optimize its usage
- Serve as the development department’s primary liaison with the finance department to ensure proper recording and reconciliation of revenue
- Oversee development gift processing and acknowledgements
- Oversee national charity registration
- Work with the director of development to meet data needs, including creating new reports using data visualization tools
- Identify, track, and report on key metrics as requested and create customized database reports and dashboards for the development department
- Generate reports, exports, mailing lists, email lists, donor lists, and custom queries
- Proactively lead regular database hygiene and maintenance efforts, including duplicate management
- 2 years of professional experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge/RE NXT. Other database experience will be considered.
- Fundamentals Certificate, Raiser’s Edge Professional Certificate, and RE NXT Fundamentals Certificate from Blackbaud University preferred
- Experience with O-Matic tools, MailChimp, DonorBox, JoinIt, Power BI, and other vehicles also valued
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capacity, with the ability to spot issues within data and systems and proactively fix them or identify possible solutions
- Ability to manage a number of tasks independently, balancing competing priorities between immediate needs and long-term projects
- Commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture
- An interest in PEN America’s mission and in joining a fast-paced, growing nonprofit organization
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references to [email protected]. Please use “Development Manager” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Development Manager – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
ABOUT PEN AMERICA:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.