PEN/Laura Pels International Foundation for Theater Awards for Master American Dramatist, Playwright in Mid-Career, and Emerging Playwright ($7,500 and $2,500)
American Playwright in Mid-career: Any playwright, writer, or member of the theater community may submit a nomination. However, a playwright may not nominate his or herself.
In the 2018-19 awards cycle, PEN and the Laura Pels International Foundation for Theater will honor a playwright in mid-career. The award was developed to reflect Laura Pels’s dedication to supporting excellence in American theater as well as PEN’s commitment to recognizing and rewarding the playwright’s literary accomplishment. Click to view past winners of the PEN/Laura Pels International Foundation for Theater Awards »
For more information, please visit our FAQ page.
Nominations for the 2019 awards cycle will be accepted from June 1, 2018 through September 15, 2018
- American Playwright in Mid-career:
- Playwrights writing in English
- Playwright must have had a professional production of at least two full-length works mounted in a theater of at least 299 seats and contracted specifically for either limited or open runs.
- The work of writers produced by regional theaters across the United States will be given consideration equal to work produced in major metropolitan centers.
- Authors who have written only one-acts or books for musicals
- Authors who have only translated the works of others for English-language audiences
American Playwright in Mid-career: Any playwright, writer, or member of the theater community may submit a nomination. However, a playwright may not nominate his or herself. The nomination form will require:
- A statement of support that describes in some detail how the playwright meets the criteria for the award.
- Detailed information on the playwright’s past publications and productions.