IT Support Engineer
PEN America, a nonprofit organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a skilled and customer-service-oriented first line IT support engineer to deliver day-to-day hardware and software technical support to our staff. needs. This new role is a full-time position based at PEN America’s New York City headquarters.
Reporting to the chief financial and administrative officer, the IT support engineer will be pivotal to the operations of our growing organization. The role will perform functions including identifying IT needs, resolving hardware issues, general equipment maintenance and monitoring and training on digital security. The IT support engineer will serve as the primary interface with outsourced IT service providers and vendors. . The role also will provide support with the technical aspects of onboarding new staff working in-office and remotely, in collaboration with the office manager, as well as providing ongoing training for staff and identifying software options and upgrades for organizational use
For a high-capacity individual with a willingness to take on new challenges, the position offers the opportunity for professional advancement in IT support and nonprofit operations and administration within a collegial, mission-driven organization.
- Manage organization-wide GSuite account, including creating and managing user emails, listservs, and calendars; onboarding and offboarding accounts; monitoring security alerts; and overseeing organizational third-party extensions (Mailmerge, Dashlane, Bluejeans, etc.)
- Resolve local electronic/hardware issues for desktops and laptops, webcams, and access points, as well as other equipment maintenance
- Actively monitor emerging security threats and be aware of scams and phishing attempts via email and phone calls
- Periodically train staff on internet security measures
- Install necessary software for monitored workstations in-office
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues, including account setup, network configuration, and installing hardware and software
- Serve as liaison with outsourced IT support services and vendors
- Assist staff with IT set-up and utilization issues
- Support with onboarding of new staff
- Provide IT support for staff meetings, events, and trainings
- Other duties as assigned
- At least two years of professional experience providing end-user support and help desk services
- Ability to operate independently and collaboratively, demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills
- Adept at identifying solutions for recurring issues
- Meticulous attention to detail and focus on precision in all aspects of work
- Proficient in technologies such as TCP/IP networking, wireless and security issues
- Extensive knowledge of Google Suite, MS Windows Operating Systems, Mac’s and MAC OS
- Working knowledge of major PC hardware components
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, and the ability to follow through from the identification of a challenge to its solution
- Demonstrated customer-service approach, including troubleshooting and followup
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter directly addressing specific requirements for the position as outlined above, a resume, and the contact information for three references. Submit the entire application to [email protected]. Please use “IT Support Engineer” with your name as the subject of your email (for example, “IT Support Engineer – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.