Trainer, Free Expression & Digital Safety (Consultancy)
PEN America, a nonprofit organization of writers and allies celebrating and defending free expression, seeks dynamic, engaging, sensitive, and experienced trainers/facilitators to collaborate with our team. Candidates must be comfortable with public speaking and have experience with teaching, leading trainings or workshops, and/or facilitating virtual learning, including with large audiences. Candidates should also have knowledge of and interest in one or more of the following topics: online abuse defense and allyship, digital security, media literacy, and/or disinformation defense. Applicants may have a background or education in journalism, digital security, community or political organizing, and/or the nonprofit field.
A commitment to social justice and an understanding of intersectionality is crucial for this role, as is the ability to navigate complex and potentially fraught questions about identity, trust, and conflict in online spaces. Expertise in working with people who have experienced trauma is welcome. We are looking for trainers based in the United States. This consultancy will initially be remote, with sessions led virtually. Eventually, sessions may be conducted in person, which may require travel around the United States, but this will be contingent on all recommended COVID-19 restrictions and precautions.
- Training and workshop customization and delivery. You will work closely with PEN America and its partners to customize existing curricula and deliver trainings and workshops on behalf of PEN America, facilitating interactive and engaging sessions on a range of free expression-related topics
- Administrative support for trainings and workshops, including support on scheduling, pre-session planning, tracking of participant numbers, post-session surveys and feedback collection, and invoicing
Qualifications and Requirements (must have 80%):
- At least one year of experience facilitating interactive trainings as a trainer, facilitator, or similar learning/education role
- At least one year of experience working on issues of online harassment defense, gender-based violence, digital security, trauma and self-care, disinformation defense, and/or media literacy
- Strong communication and facilitation skills in virtual and formal in-person environments
- Strong intersectional analysis and commitment to social justice
- Excellent presentation skills, including in virtual formats, and incorporating relevant technology (Zoom and Google Slides, for example)
- Ability to problem-solve
- Excellent relationship management
- Professionalism, including punctuality and adherence to deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others—on own team and across departments
- Ability to accept and apply feedback
- Personal qualities of integrity, empathy, patience, respect for others, and a willingness to learn
- Staying up to date on trends in online harassment, digital security, and/or mis/disinformation
- A commitment to and passion for PEN America’s mission
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. Candidates representing diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits:
Candidates will be paid $500 per training/workshop (one to two hours each, including up to three additional hours per session for preparation and follow up).
Please submit a resume, a short statement of interest that directly addresses your qualifications for the requirements as outlined above, and the contact information for two references. Please submit the entire application as one PDF to [email protected]. For the subject of the email, please include your name and “Trainer – PEN America” (for example, “Jane Doe – Trainer – PEN America.” Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.