Foundations Relations Internship (Nonprofit Development)
PEN America seeks a motivated self-starter who wishes to learn about how foundations and grants sustain nonprofit organizations. As part of the development team, the foundations relations intern will provide essential support in identifying and securing funding and engaging foundations for an organization that protects the right to free expression worldwide. This internship is based in New York, but due to COVID-19 concerns, will be primarily a remote position and is subject to change. The supervisor reserves the right to request interns to come into the office if it is necessary and deemed safe to do so.
The intern will gain hands-on foundations relations, grant writing, and grants management experience and will work closely with the director of foundations and grants and the foundations relations assistant. The foundations relations internship is a great opportunity to build effective development strategies and processes for a mission-driven organization that is quickly evolving and responding to the challenges of our time.
This is an unpaid position. PEN America internships are also eligible for college credit.
- Conduct independent research in grant databases and government publications to identify new foundation and government grant prospects, and suggest points of alignment with PEN America’s programmatic objectives
- Provide support with grant materials, including copyediting, updating, and formatting concept notes, proposals, and reports to foundations
- Assist in setting up external meetings with foundations
- Draft correspondence as needed, and prepare internal briefings for senior leadership
- Ensure grant records are up-to-date in Raiser’s Edge
- Must be able to provide proof of authorization to intern in the United States
- Have excellent writing and research skills
- Exhibit conscientiousness and strong attention to detail
- Be able to multitask and shift priorities
- Have experience with Microsoft Office suite and G Suite
- Have a desire to gain exposure to and experience in foundation fundraising and grant writing
- Passionate about art, literature, and human rights
- Committed to PEN America’s mission to protect the right to free expression
Be sure to include the dates of your availability with your application.
- Fall Internship: Please submit your application between July 1 and October 15.
- Winter/Spring Internship: Please submit your application between November 1 and January 15.
- Summer Internship: Please submit your application between April 1 and June 15.
Please submit a resume, writing sample, and a one-page cover letter expressing your interest and qualifications. Note which areas interest you most and why. Please send one PDF to Brandon Stinchfield at [email protected]. Please use “Foundations Relations Internship” with your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Foundation Relations Internship – Jane Doe”).
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.