Foundations Relations Assistant
PEN America, an organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide, seeks a highly organized and detail-oriented foundations relations assistant to support a robust foundation and government grant portfolio. This is an entry-level, full-time position based in New York. Due to the pandemic, PEN America is currently working remotely. This position will be expected to work in-person when we return to our normal operations.
The foundations relations assistant is a key member of the development department and reports to the director of foundations and grants. They work closely with the chief development officer and the chief executive officer, as well as staff across the organization. The primary responsibilities are foundations relations and grant management; duties include maintaining timely and accurate records, drafting and overseeing the sending of funder communications, providing grant writing and submission support, conducting independent research on prospects, and supporting the overall efforts of an ambitious development department.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make a critical difference for a mission-driven organization that is quickly evolving and responding to the challenges of our time. The position offers opportunities for increased responsibilities over time, including developing experience in grant writing, government funding, and funder cultivation.
Candidates representing diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Maintain accurate records, including deadlines, contact information, communications, and other data relevant to grants management in Raiser’s Edge and shared computer files
- Draft and oversee the sending of funder communications, including funder correspondence, grant acknowledgements, and invoicing
- Provide grant writing and submission support, including preparing templates, sending staff deadline reminders, copyediting drafts, gathering supplemental materials, and submitting on deadline
- Conduct independent research in grant databases and government publications to identify new foundation prospects and suggest points of alignment with PEN America’s programmatic objectives
- Develop in-depth prospect research profiles for institutional funders
- Gather data, secure input from program staff and senior leadership, and conduct prospect research as background for grant proposals
- Assist in setting up key internal and some external meetings, preparing advance briefings, and supporting materials for senior leadership
- Join regular meetings with senior leadership to recommend new prospects and provide regular updates on progress and activities to senior leadership
- Update and maintain agency listing in local, national, and state directories (e.g. Guidestar, Better Business Bureau, Charity Navigator, etc.)
- Maintain and update passwords, subscriptions, and enrollment in grant-related external systems
- Write and edit grant proposal and report copy as needed
This is an entry-level position ideal for a recent college graduate or candidate with one year of experience in a nonprofit or comparable field.
- Must have a passion for PEN America’s mission to defend free expression at the intersection of literature and human rights
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Detail-oriented with a proven track record of successful project management and the ability to work independently and efficiently in solving problems within a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment
- Superior organizational skills with ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines and projects at any given time
- Ability to work quickly and adapt to new priorities
- Ability to exercise appropriate level of professionalism and discretion when dealing with information of a highly confidential nature
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to research, compile, and summarize data for reports
- Experience with Microsoft Office; experience with G Suite a plus
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge, Raiser’s Edge NXT, or other comparable database systems a plus
Salary and Benefits: PEN offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three references. A cover letter must accompany the resume to be considered for the position. Please submit the entire application to [email protected]. Please use “Foundations Relations Assistant” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Foundations Relations Assistant – Jane Doe”).
Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.