PEN America seeks a skilled, efficient, and detail-oriented finance manager to support our finance operations. Reporting to the CFO, the manager will engage in a wide range of activities to support the operations of our growing nonprofit organization. The manager will perform finance and administration functions, including managing the budgets, monitoring revenues and expenses, accounting practices, and conducting audits. The successful candidate will be part of a dedicated and mission-driven staff at a fast-paced organization with an ambitious growth agenda. For a high capacity individual with a willingness to take on new challenges, the position offers opportunity for professional advancement within nonprofit operations and management.
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.
- Manage agency budget: prepare annual budget along with CFO for approval by Board of Directors; monitor revenues and expenses; prepare financial statements and reports for Board, executive management, middle managers, and funders
- Monitor expenses and prepare budgets on existing and new programs; set up systems and controls on financing and release of funds
- Oversee accounting procedures, including A/R, A/P, bank deposits, month-end closing process, and cash management
- Manage accounting software package (FundEZ), including maximizing system functionality and insuring data integrity
- Update program directors on budget-to-actual departmental results on a monthly basis
- Liaise with outside accountants, prepare relevant schedules, and insure timely completion of adjusting journal entries
- Initiate reconciliation of development database and FundEZ for special events
- Work closely with development department to develop timely budget proposals and expense reports
- Design and conduct internal audits and other internal control tests to assure compliance with procedures
- Prepare and work closely with external accountants to assure timely completion of all tax returns and other compliance documents
- Manage the finance and administrative coordinator
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum seven years of experience in nonprofit financial management/accounting, including staff oversight. Five years of expert experience, managing the finances of a not-for-profit.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting regulations and procedures, including the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience using Excel and other accounting software. FundEZ strongly preferred
- Extensive budget management experience
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to follow through from the identification of a challenge to its solution
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communications skills
- Formidable work ethic and high energy level, with ability to multi-task effectively
- Master’s Degree in accounting, business, or another field of study relevant to the position. Additional certification (CPA or CMA) is a plus
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter directly addressing specific requirements for the position as outlined above, resume, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to [email protected]. One PDF is preferred. Please use “Finance Manager” with your name as the subject of your email (e.g., Finance Manager – Jane Doe). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.