PEN America, a nonprofit organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a skilled, efficient, and detail-oriented finance consultant to support our finance operations. This is a four-month consultancy for an entry-level to mid-level professional, and requires full-time availability. Candidates will be expected to be available to flex between working remotely and working in our New York office in SoHo when needed.
Reporting to the chief financial officer, the consultant will engage in a wide range of activities to support finance operations of our busy nonprofit organization. They will perform finance functions including: maintaining accurate finance recordkeeping with regard to donations, memberships, grants, and other organizational revenues. The individual will also handle check requests, invoices, deposits, and other bookkeeping activities, as well assist with financial reporting and preparing journal entries. The successful candidate will support a dedicated and mission-driven staff at a fast-paced organization with an ambitious growth agenda. For a high-capacity individual with a willingness to take on new challenges, the position offers opportunity for professional advancement within nonprofit finance.
- Support preparation of finance information for grant proposals and reporting for funders
- Liaise with other departments to track funding, grants, and other payments for accounts receivable
- Conduct or support bookkeeping functions including bill payments, bank deposits, credit card and other expense transactions, e-commerce, bank reconciliation, etc.
- Process and book payroll
- Record banking and investment account entries
- Support preparation for annual audit and required government filings
- Provide guidance to finance department interns
- Assist with annual budgeting, mid-year budget review, and forecasting
- Prepare monthly end closing journal entries and related reconciliations
- Handle various ad hoc projects as assigned by the chief financial officer
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a focus on accounting or finance
- Meticulous attention to detail and focus on precision in all aspects of work
- Demonstrated interest in acquiring new skills, and ability to do so quickly
- Ability to both follow and improve accounting processes in a fast-paced environment with multiple and varied assignments
- Nonprofit experience strongly preferred
- Experience in Fund EZ strongly preferred
- Intermediate skills in Excel and knowledgeable in G-Suite
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, and the ability to follow through from the identification of a challenge to its solution
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to [email protected]. Please use “Finance Consultant” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Finance Consultant – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.