PEN America seeks a diligent, detail-oriented, and highly energetic intern to support the work of the Finance department. Working closely with the members of the Finance team at PEN America, the accounting intern will gain exposure to a holistic view of the day-to-day operations and finances of a nonprofit, and exposure to the world of advocacy and human rights, as well as a community of writers and allies working to celebrate and defend the written word. This internship is based in New York, but due to COVID-19 concerns, will be primarily a remote position at this time and is subject to change. The supervisor reserves the right to request interns to come into the office if it is necessary and deemed safe to do so.
Interns will learn how to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment, multitask and prioritize assignments, develop organizational skills and problem-solving strategies, and hone in on their attention to detail.
This is an unpaid position. PEN America internships are also eligible for college credit.
- Assist with budgeting, reporting, and other support for financial analysis
- Process revenue, including preparing daily deposits and processing in-house charges
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and/or bank statements to ensure proper accountability
- Assist in creating expense reports for processing
- Handle and post of accounts payable and receivable and other bookkeeping tasks
- Answer phone calls and welcome guests as needed
- Other tasks, as needed, related to PEN America’s Finance department needs, including but not limited to filing materials and sorting documents
- Strict attention to detail and discretion
- Professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated capability to work independently and efficiently, prioritize and simultaneously handle multiple tasks, and adhere to deadlines
- Strong desire to learn new skills and the ability to pitch in when needed
- Excellent written communication and the ability to conduct research when needed
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, G Suite, and the Windows operating system preferred
- Experience with Fund EZ accounting software highly desirable
- Majoring in or have experience in accounting strongly preferred
- Interest in literature, human rights, advocacy, and/or nonprofit operations is a plus
Be sure to include the dates of your availability with your application.
- Fall Internship: Please submit your application between July 1 and September 15.
- Winter/Spring Internship: Please submit your application between November 1 and January 15.
- Summer Internship: Please submit your application between April 1 and June 15.
Please email a cover letter (one-page maximum) and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “PEN America Finance/Accounting Internship.”
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.