Fall 2017 Membership and Outreach Internship
PEN America seeks diligent, detail-oriented, and highly personable Membership and Outreach Interns to support the work of PEN America’s Membership and Outreach department. Working closely with the Senior Membership Manager, the Senior Manager of Literacy Outreach and Activism, and the Membership and Outreach Assistant, Interns will gain an overview of the literary and publishing communities, as well as insight into contemporary literature across multiple genres. They will gain exposure to the wide range of PEN America’s work, and receive hands-on experience in program research and development, marketing, event management and logistics. Additionally, interns are invited to attend and assist at many PEN America events.
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.
Interns will assist with a variety of work, including but not limited to:
- Researching new and diverse literary voices
- Supporting the maintenance of the program’s donor database
- Drafting member announcements for members-only events
- Contributing to PEN America’s online presence through social media outreach and promotion
- Supporting the creation and printing of event marketing materials
- Assisting with the coordination of PEN America’s many membership events, including Member Mingles and Workshops, and the annual New Members/New Books party
- Creating briefs on partnership opportunities, community influencers, and potential venues for PEN America’s activist programming
- Supporting logistical preparation and onsite event management for public actions
- Contributing research for blogs, articles, and op-eds written in response to free expression advocacy issues
The Ideal Candidate
- Works at a steady pace, is comfortable taking initiative, and thrives working independently
- Demonstrates both flexibility and carefulness in managing work priorities
- Has excellent research and writing skills, and is proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Applications
- Must be willing to do a wide range of administrative tasks, from research to data entry
- Have an interest in literature, cultural programming, and human rights
A commitment of two-three days per week (within normal business hours) is required. Internships last from three-six months, with opportunities for longer engagements for interested candidates. This is an unpaid position, though interns who work at least 15 hours a week are eligible for a local travel stipend. PEN internships are also eligible for college credit.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please submit the entire application to glinczer[at]pen.org. One PDF is preferred. Please use “Membership and Outreach Intern – NAME” as the subject of your email. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.