Fall 2017 Literary Programs Design Internship
PEN America’s Literary Programs Department seeks a diligent, organized design intern to assist with the 2018 literary programs and literary awards cycle. The PEN Literary Awards confer nearly $315,000 annually to writers and translators. In 2018, PEN America will administer 25 distinct awards in the fields of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, science writing, sports writing, biography, translation, and more. PEN America’s literary Programs Department presents a year-long calendar of readings, performances, festivals, and other events.
Interns will gain exposure to New York’s vibrant cultural landscape through program development and receive hands-on design, production, and administrative experience, while learning the operational details of executing the most comprehensive awards program in the country. Additionally, interns are invited to attend and volunteer for PEN America’s many literary events in the New York City area.
Interns will assist with a variety of tasks, including but not limited to
- Creating infographics and promotional materials
- Creating marketing materials for upcoming programs, such as website text and flyers
- Building webpages on PEN.org
- Coordinating the announcements for the 2018 awards longlists
- Planning a special promotion for honored books around the holiday season
- Contributing to the Literary Awards’ online presence through social media
- Communicating regularly with publishers, literary agents, editors, writers, and translators throughout the awards cycle
- Supporting PEN America’s Director of Public Programs and PEN America’s Literary Awards Program Manager with program research, editing press releases, and crafting e-blasts
- Providing administrative support as required, including correspondence with publishers and judges
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has excellent communication and research skills
- Has demonstrated design skills, including knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, with an emphasis on Photoshop, as well as knowledge of basic typography and design standards
- Has a working knowledge of WordPress and basic HTML. Knowledge of CSS preferred but not required
- Is comfortable working with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive; any experience with MailChimp is strongly preferred
- Works at a steady pace and independently
- Is willing to manage a range of administrative tasks
- Has a demonstrated interest in literature, cultural programming, and human rights
For the fall, PEN asks for a commitment of two to four days per week (within normal business hours.) Internships will last from September 5, 2017 through December 15, 2017. This internship offers opportunities for extension for interested candidates.
This is an unpaid position. Though, interns who work more than 15 hours per week are eligible for a local travel stipend. PEN internships are also eligible for college credit.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to Nadxieli Nieto, PEN America’s Literary Awards Manager, at [email protected] with the subject line, “Fall Literary Programs Design Internship.”