Fall 2017 Free Expression Programs – Eurasia Internship
The Free Expression Eurasia Programs Intern will learn about all aspects of program management in nonprofits, through assisting with research, work plan implementation, budgeting, and reporting. The successful candidate will have an interest in human rights and literature, general knowledge and interest in the Eurasia region, excellent research and writing skills, will be detail-oriented and organized, and able to work independently. Intern will gain an overview of the free expression environment in the region, as well as valuable insight into nonprofit operations. Ideally, successful candidate will also possess written and spoken language capability relevant to the region.
Providing administrative support to PEN America’s Free Expression team, responsibilities include:
· Working with Free Expression Programs Manager for Eurasia on the implementation of various regional projects;
· Researching and monitoring free expression situation in the region;
· Coordinating logistics for delegations’ visits to Eurasia/to the US;
· Providing inputs to PEN America’s thematic reports;
· Updating PEN America’s social media pages with information related to the region, occasionally translating written/multimedia material to English; and,
· Assisting Free Expression Department in other programmatic work as the need arises.
A commitment of at least two days a week is preferred, but flexible arrangements are possible. This is an unpaid position, though a local travel stipend is available. PEN America internships are also eligible for college credit. Interns will also have the opportunity to attend and volunteer at PEN America events; and attend intern luncheons with PEN America staff members, a series where staff discuss their roles and careers and do Q&As with the full intern team.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
We discourage simultaneously applying to multiple opportunities at PEN, but if you decide to apply for more than one internship, please indicate which one(s) at the top of your cover letter.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.