Fall/Winter 2017 Executive Internship
PEN America’s Executive Office is seeking a self-motivated, highly energetic individual for an internship to start ASAP through the season with the possibility of longer engagement for interested candidates.
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible. Under the supervision of the Executive Assistant, the Executive Intern will develop strong nonprofit office management skills and will be privy to discussions of institutional planning and growth, with daily opportunities for exposure to the wide range of PEN’s work. The Executive Intern will have the opportunity to attend and participate in Board and all-staff meetings as well as PEN America events.
· Exemplary attention to detail and discretion.
· Professionalism and interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated capability to work independently and efficiently, to prioritize and simultaneously handle multiple tasks, and adhere to deadlines.
· Strong desire to learn new skills and the ability to pitch in when needed.
· Excellent written communication and the ability to conduct research.
· Familiarity with Microsoft Word and the Windows operating system preferred.
· Interest in literature, human rights, and/or advocacy is a plus.
· Assist with administrative duties for the Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, and Director of Finance and Administration.
· Draft and proofread high-impact letters and memos from the Executive Office.
· Assist with preparation for Board meetings, Directors’ meetings, all-staff meetings, and other meetings of the Executive Director.
· Ensure a well-functioning office environment including: maintaining supplies, updating databases and contact lists, filing, photocopying, scanning, and mailing.
· Coordinate intern events, including the Intern Speaker Series.
This is an unpaid internship with a monthly travel stipend for interns working a minimum of 15 hours weekly.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and a cover letter describing how the position matches her/his interests and goals to [email protected] with the subject line “PEN America Executive Internship.”