The Global City
April 29, 2006 | The New School | New York City
With Alaa Al-Aswany, Paulo Lins, Melania Mazzucco, Carlos Monsiváis, and Orhan Pamuk; introduced by Suketu Mehta.
Discussed: the fear of loneliness and the luxury of solitude; beauty in the urban landscape; the community of melancholy and the nobility of failure; the beautiful woman behind City of God; and architecture and nostalgia.
• Entire event
LISTEN TO SEGMENTS
• Suketu Mehta: Introduction
• Alaa Al-Aswany reads from The Yacoubian Building
• Paulo Lins reads from City of God
• Melania Mazzucco reads from Vita
• Carlos Monsiváis reads from Mexican Postcards
• Orhan Pamuk reads from Istanbul