[WEBINAR] Online Abuse Self-Defense Training
Women journalists are facing unprecedented levels of hate and harassment online. PEN America and the Journalism and Women Symposium co-host this training to equip reporters, as well as their allies and employers, with practical tools and strategies to defend against online abuse. We’ll talk about how to prepare, respond, take care of yourself, and support others. While there are no easy answers, open conversations about the impact of online abuse and how to fight back can empower women journalists to stay online and continue exercising their free expression rights.
Viktorya Vilk is the program director for digital safety and free expression at PEN America, where she leads initiatives on a range of free expression issues, including developing tools and strategies to empower journalists and newsrooms to defend against online abuse. She has over a decade of experience working in nonprofits to expand access to the arts and defend creative and press freedom.
Other Events in the Online Abuse Defense Series
- [WEBINAR] Online Abuse Self-Defense Training, co-hosted by Hearken, September 23 from 12pm to 1:30pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Bystander Intervention Training: What Do You Do When You See Abuse Online?, co-hosted by Hollaback!, September 29 from 2pm to 3pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Bolster Your Digital Safety: An Anti-Hacking, Anti-Doxing Workshop, co-hosted by Hearken with Freedom of the Press Foundation, October 7 from 12:30pm to 1:45pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Supporting Staff Facing Online Abuse: Best Practices for Editors and Managers, co-hosted by Hearken, October 14 from 12pm to 1:30 pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Bolster Your Digital Safety: An Anti-Hacking, Anti-Doxing Workshop, part of this year’s ONA20 Everywhere conference, October 15 from 11:45am to 1pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Bystander Intervention Training: What to Do When You See Online Abuse, co-hosted by Hearken with Hollaback!, October 21 from 12pm to 1pm ET