[WEBINAR] Bolster Your Digital Safety: An Anti-Hacking, Anti-Doxing Workshop
Writers and journalists are increasingly expected to have an online presence and engage on social media, which puts them at risk of abuse, from impersonation and hacking to doxing (the publishing of private info). Folks who identify as women, LGBTQIA+, and/or BIPOC are disproportionately targeted. But there are concrete steps you can take to protect yourself. With your devices in hand, join PEN America and the Freedom of the Press Foundation for an interactive workshop where we’ll teach you how to outsmart the trolls. Learn how to audit your social media accounts, tighten your privacy settings, and track your personal information online so you can maintain the public profile you need to do your job. Co-hosted by PEN America, Hearken, and Freedom of the Press Foundation.
Harlo Holmes is the director of digital security at Freedom of the Press Foundation. She strives to help individual journalists in various media organizations become confident and effective in securing their communications within their newsrooms, with their sources, and with the public at large.
Viktorya Vilk is the program director for digital safety and free expression at PEN America, where she leads initiatives on a range of free expression issues, including developing tools and strategies to empower journalists and newsrooms to defend against online abuse. She has over a decade of experience working in nonprofits to expand access to the arts and defend creative and press freedom.
Other Events in the Online Abuse Defense Series
- [WEBINAR] Online Abuse Self-Defense Training, co-hosted by the Journalism and Women Symposium, September 16 from 6pm to 7:30pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Online Abuse Self-Defense Training, co-hosted by Hearken, September 23 from 12pm to 1:30pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Bystander Intervention Training: What Do You Do When You See Abuse Online?, co-hosted by Hollaback!, September 29 from 2pm to 3pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Supporting Staff Facing Online Abuse: Best Practices for Editors and Managers, co-hosted by Hearken, October 14 from 12pm to 1:30 pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Bolster Your Digital Safety: An Anti-Hacking, Anti-Doxing Workshop, part of this year’s ONA20 Everywhere conference, October 15 from 11:45am to 1pm ET
- [WEBINAR] Bystander Intervention Training: What to Do When You See Online Abuse, co-hosted by Hearken with Hollaback!, October 21 from 12pm to 1pm ET