Fall 2019 Development Internship
PEN America is seeking several motivated self-starters who wish to learn about how development drives and sustains nonprofit organizations. As part of the development team in our New York office in the summer, fall, or winter, interns will provide essential support in securing funding and engaging donor communities for an organization that protects the right to free expression worldwide. Interns will gain hands-on administrative and project management experience, learning from key development staff who will provide mentorship throughout the internship’s duration. This internship is a great opportunity to build effective development strategies and processes from the ground up as PEN America expands its fundraising capabilities.
In your role as a development intern, you will hone your administrative skills as you support PEN America in the following areas:
- Researching current and potential donors, foundations, and corporate sponsors
- Performing database clean-up and ensuring donor records are up-to-date
- Providing support with development communications materials, including fundraising appeals, acknowledgement letters, and cultivation event invitations
- Generating and updating reports to track revenue, new donors, and other metrics
- Assisting in behind-the-scenes preparation for both private and public PEN America events, particularly in the fall and winter terms
- Working and gaining experience with PEN America’s robust new CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system
We’d be excited to hear from you if:
- You have excellent research and writing skills
- You exhibit strong attention to detail
- You are able to multitask and shift priorities
- You have experience with Microsoft Office, Mailchimp, and Google Suite
- You have a desire to gain exposure to and experience in all areas of nonprofit management and development
- You are passionate about art, literature, and human rights
- You are committed to PEN America’s mission to protect the right to free expression
To apply, please submit a resume and a one page cover letter expressing your interest and qualifications. Note which areas interest you most and why. Send as one pdf document saved as “Development Intern Application – [Last name], [First name]” to Coty Novak ([email protected]). Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
This is an unpaid position, though interns who work at least 15 hours a week are eligible for a local travel stipend. PEN America internships are also eligible for college credit.
About PEN America
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible. PEN America is the largest of more than 100 centers of PEN International. For more than 90 years, we have been working together with our colleagues in the international PEN community to ensure that people everywhere have the freedom to create literature, to convey information and ideas, to express their views, and to make it possible for everyone to access the views, ideas, and literature of others. Our strength is our membership—a nationwide community of novelists, journalists, editors, poets, essayists, playwrights, publishers, translators, agents, and other professionals, and an even larger network of devoted readers and supporters who join with them to carry out PEN America’s mission.