Development & Events Assistant
PEN America—an organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression in the United States and worldwide—seeks a highly organized, skilled, and energetic individual for full-time work as a development and events assistant in a growing development department. Primary responsibilities of this position include gift processing and acknowledgments, reports, working closely with the finance department, and assisting with all aspects of our Gala and Authors’ Evenings. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, analytical, and detail oriented. Experience with databases and planning or organizing events a plus.
The development and events assistant will works closely with the senior director of development and development manager. Professionalism, confidentiality, and discretion are critical in this role.
The development and events assistant will have the opportunity to make a critical difference in a fast-paced environment in an organization that is quickly evolving and expanding, with opportunities for increased responsibilities over time.
- Data entry
- Gift processing
- Reconciling with finance on a regular basis
- Processing all donor and funder gift acknowledgements, recording, and creating or placing in files as required
- Reports as needed
- Templates updated on a regular basis
- Assist with database clean up to ensure data accuracy
- Assist development manager with tracking of all pledges and payment
- Process invoices as needed
- Assist with special events: Authors’ Evenings, Gala
- General assistance with development
- Assist with recruitment, training, and managing interns
- Bachelor’s degree
- Familiarity with DonorPerfect or other database systems
- Experience working in a fast-paced nonprofit environment preferred
- Special event experience preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of donor management and the ability to handle relationships with stakeholders with tact and maturity
- Ambitious work ethic and ability to work both autonomously and as part of departmental or cross-departmental team
- Strong ability to communicate in writing in a range of forms and contexts
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, with zealous attention to detail
- Exemplary capacity to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Passion for the mission of PEN America
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter directly addressing specific requirements for the position as outlined above, resume, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to email@example.com. One PDF is preferred. Please use “Development & Events Assistant” with your name as the subject of your email (e.g., Development & Events Assistant – Jane Doe). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.