Coordinator, Events and Operations, Los Angeles
PEN America, a nonprofit organization working at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a highly organized, skilled, and energetic events and operations coordinator in our Los Angeles office. This is a full-time position based in Los Angeles and reports to the Managing Director, working closely with other members of the Los Angeles team.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic self-starter with high attention to detail; strong written and verbal communication skills; experience in project management using a range of approaches and techniques; and experience working on multiple timelines and projects at once. The events and operations coordinator is a hands-on role on a tight-knit team accustomed to working on a range of projects at a fast pace. The coordinator will have the opportunity to make a critical difference on a team that is quickly expanding, and that engages with leading literary figures and important national and international issues of free expression.
This is an ideal position for an early career professional with at least one to three years relevant office experience. The position requires an energized and highly organized work style, and the ability to work collaboratively on event development and production. The successful candidate will excel at research and writing, have demonstrated success in executing projects from start to finish, and demonstrate aptitude for working with spreadsheets and databases. Ability to take initiative, problem-solve, and work independently are necessary. Candidates should have a passion for PEN America’s mission and be prepared to staff periodic PEN America Los Angeles events in the evenings and on the weekends.
In alignment with PEN America’s current policy, all applicants should be available to report to the office at least three days per week. This policy is subject to change.
- General support and assistance to both the Managing and Program Directors of the Los Angeles office
- Plan team meetings, team-building activities and other general coordination of the Los Angeles staff, as well as connection to the PEN America staff teams in New York and DC
- Handle expense reporting, financial reconciliation, and other budget tasks
- Manage LA office’s calendar, including scheduling of meetings
- Respond to internal and external information requests
- Provide research and producing polished letters, memos, agendas, and other written materials on an as-needed basis for meetings, events and external experiences
- Support fundraising efforts, including database management, drafting of donor acknowledgment letters, drafting of fundraising proposals, providing event support, and prospect research
- Assist in the creation of program and event materials, including invitations, as well as create Canva graphics
- Send mail merge communications as needed
- Manage stakeholder lists and event timelines
All PEN America staff are considered to be stakeholders in the development of our shared organization. As such, staff play a role in varied activities within the workplace as part of their job responsibilities. These may include committees or task forces to work on office issues, diversity and inclusion, strategy projects, training or other initiatives.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with a zealous attention to detail
- Ability to problem solve and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Excel, and various video conferencing platforms including Zoom (Raiser’s Edge, Asana and Canva a plus)
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with an ability to think creatively and collaboratively
- Formidable work ethic and high energy level
- Enthusiastic team player with professional demeanor and ability to work autonomously and as part of departmental or cross-departmental teams.
- Strong ability to communicate in writing in a range of forms and contexts
- Ability to handle relationships with stakeholders with tact and maturity
- Exemplary capacity to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Must be available to work at PEN America Los Angeles events on weekends and after-hours
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and full benefits. The salary range for this position is $48,000-$51,000 commensurate with experience. Candidates whose expectations are outside this range are welcome to apply, as PEN America is open to considering talented individuals at varying stages of their careers. PEN America’s benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision health insurance, paid time off, 10 paid holidays, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 403b retirement plan.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please use “LA Coordinator” with your name as the subject of your email (for example, “LA Coordinator – Jane Doe”). Please also share where you heard about this position in the body of your email. Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
ABOUT PEN AMERICA:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.