The $3,000 PEN Award for Poetry in Translation is conferred every year in New York. The award recognizes book-length translations of poetry from any language into English published during the current calendar year, and is judged by a single translator of poetry appointed by the PEN Translation Committee. The award was made possible originally by a bequest from the late translator and PEN member Rae Dalven, and has received current support from The Kaplen Foundation.
The PEN Award for Poetry in Translation, established in 1996, complements the PEN Translation Prize, which was founded in 1963 through the efforts of the PEN Translation Committee, and was the first American award to honor the art of the literary translator.
All winners and finalists for this award are eligible to receive PEN America’s official winner or finalist seal. If you are a publisher of a shortlisted or winning book for this award and are interested in obtaining PEN’s award seal, please write to email@example.com.
Eligibility and Submissions for the 2017 Awards
Submissions will be accepted June 1 - August 15, 2016.
Who is eligible
- PEN will only accept submissions from publishers or literary agents; translators/authors may not submit their own book for this award.
- Although all eligible books must have been published in the United States, translators may be of any nationality; U.S. residency or citizenship is not required.
- Eligible books must have been published between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016. Books published after the August 15, 2016 submission deadline may be submitted as galleys.
- Self-published books and reprints are not eligible.
- Retranslations are ineligible, unless the work can be said to provide a significant revision of the original translations.
- Books with more than two translators are not eligible.
- If you submit a book for this award, you may not submit it for any additional PEN American Center awards. Please note that the PEN/Faulkner and PEN/Hemingway Awards are not considered PEN American Center awards.
How to apply
1. Please download the award's Declaration of Eligibility. Complete all fields and have a company executive sign in order to confirm the book's eligibility. If eligible, please mail this form along with one copy of the book to PEN's office (see step 3).
2. Complete the award's online submission form. As submissions have closed, the form has been deactivated. Each submission is $75.* If you would like to pay by check, please enter CHECK in the coupon code field at checkout. Checks should be made out to PEN American Center. Please also submit a verified email address on the submission form; your order cannot be processed without an email address, as this info will be used to later contact you regarding the shipments of your submission. Please note that submission fees are not refundable.
3. Mail one copy of the candidate's book along with the completed Declaration of Eligibilty to the address below between June 1 and August 15, 2016. Please note that we do accept galleys and bound manuscripts:
PEN Award for Poetry in Translation
PEN American Center
588 Broadway, Suite 303
New York, NY 10012
4. Once the submitted book is received and reviewed for eligibility by PEN, you will be contacted by firstname.lastname@example.org before the end of the year and asked to ship one copy of the book to each of our awards judges. Please add email@example.com to your safe sender list.
* Submission fees may be waived for publishers whose annual net sales are less than $4 million. In order to have your fees waived, please have a company official write a letter on company letterhead stating that your press' annual net sales are less than $4 million. Please send this letter as an attachment (.doc or .pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once received, you will be provided with a coupon code to use at check-out in order to have your submission fees waived. One fee waiver may be used for all 2017 PEN Awards; you do not need to submit a separate fee waiver for each award.