Communications Manager (Email Marketing)
PEN America, a nonprofit organization that works at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks an experienced communications manager (email marketing) to execute dynamic email marketing strategies and play a key role on an interdisciplinary communications team. This is a full-time position based in New York City.
The communications manager will activate and inform our current subscribers, develop and implement new strategies to grow our base of support, advance our free expression advocacy, market our slate of programming, and promote announcements and events with on-brand messaging and compelling visuals. The communications manager will assume full ownership of our regular e-newsletters and partner with program teams to coordinate campaigns and other email communications. The manager will also pitch ideas for new campaigns, as well as own the testing and reporting necessary to show measurable success.
Our communications team is highly-matrixed, meaning the incumbent will also contribute to our social media, public relations, and online communications as needed. The role offers the opportunity to be a valued part of a fast-growing organization with a vital role and an expanding public profile. The successful candidate will work with the literary, journalistic, and human rights communities and a nationwide constituency of supporters.
Reporting to the director of communications, the ideal candidate has driven successful email marketing and advocacy campaigns and understands how to engage and build audiences. Our next communications manager will know best practices for marketing automation and will assist us in a major review of our entire email portfolio. The successful candidate will work across our organization as the go-to person for all aspects of our email communications strategy development and delivery, with substantial room for professional growth.
- Own the lifecycle of email marketing efforts for the entire organization, including oversight of a daily roundup e-newsletter, two monthly literary e-newsletters, two monthly events e-newsletters, and other campaigns as assigned.
- Help program staff and other internal stakeholders develop content for campaigns and associated plans
- Offer detailed analyses of email performance (open rates, click-throughs, and other engagements) and rapid optimization of campaigns wherever possible to improve performance over time
- Assist with segmentation, list management, and lead-nurturing processes within our marketing automation tool (soon to be Luminate)
- Maintain a healthy email list with regular email list cleanups and monitoring email inbox placement/spam flags
- Write clear, concise, error-free digital content within tight deadlines
In addition, the communications manager (email marketing) may also be called on to:
- Provide social media writing and content support
- Draft and send press releases and other materials to journalists
- Develop new and help to maintain existing press lists
- Post and edit content to PEN.org
- Manage external contractors or vendors as needs arise
- 3-5 years of email marketing experience. Basic knowledge of HTML
- 3-5 years of experience with marketing automation platforms; Luminate preferred
- Familiarity with current online marketing industry best practices and issues
- Experience with segmentation and analysis, including database queries and reporting tools
- Experience with A/B testing
- Familiarity with industry-standard CMS systems, WordPress preferred
- Commitment to PEN America’s mission to protect free expression rights and its work with writers and writing
- Extraordinary written communication skills as well as extreme attention to detail and presentation
- Stamina and the ability to thrive in a fast-moving work environment
- Ability to problem solve to success and provide both strategic vision and granular attention to the details of implementation
Salary will be commensurate with experience. PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter directly addressing specific requirements for the position as outlined above, a resume, an unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to [email protected]. One PDF is preferred. Please use “Communications Manager” with your name as the subject of your email (e.g., Communications Manager – Jane Doe). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.