Communications Coordinator (Digital Content)
PEN America, a nonprofit organization working at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks an ambitious and highly organized communications coordinator (digital content) to support its growing visibility as a global leader in the defense of free expression. This is a full-time position based in New York.
This early-career position offers a significant opportunity for professional growth and development in a trusted and responsible role that touches on all facets of PEN America’s communications activities. This role will publish all content to PEN.org and oversee content publication workflows, report on website analytics, ensure all content shared on our website meets high editorial standards, conceive of new ways to transform our work into compelling digital content, provide interim administrative support, and help assist our internship program.
Candidates representing diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply.
- Manage the publication lifecycle of event pages, blogs, news items, recaps, and other website revisions and requests for PEN.org (we’re a WordPress shop)
- Craft headlines and descriptive text for content across our website
- Source photos and craft basic graphics for our homepage and other campaign pages
- Proofread, post, and curate content across our website, including our homepage
- Maintain and update PEN America’s institutional style guide
- Coordinate with part-time web project manager and external development firm to work on site improvements
- Oversee PEN.org content editorial calendar and provide organization-wide guidance on messaging and publication cadence
- Compile, analyze, and share weekly website traffic data
- Monitor institutional email accounts
- Train and co-supervise season interns
- Process check requests and invoices for the communications department
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- One to two years of experience in communications, journalism, or similar field
- Superior writing abilities and an obsessive knack for grammar
- Knowledge of HTML and familiarity with WordPress workflows
- Experience implementing best SEO/SEM practices
- Ambitious problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Facility with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly, and master diverse technologies and techniques
- Professional demeanor and ability to work independently
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple tasks
- Passion for literature, journalism, and/or international human rights
Salary commensurate with experience. PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and unedited writing sample. Please submit the entire application to Stephen Fee, Director of Communications, at [email protected]. Please use “Communications Coordinator” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Communications Coordinator – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.