Artists at Risk Connection (ARC) Program and Communications Internship
The Artists at Risk Connection (ARC) is seeking a program and communications intern who is passionate about human rights, artistic expression, and serving artists at risk and the organizations that support them. The intern will be a program intern on a communications track. Responsibilities will include social media, website management, database support, research, external program communications, and brand and network building. This internship is based in New York, but due to COVID-19 concerns, will be primarily a remote position at this time and is subject to change. The supervisor reserves the right to request interns to come into the office if it is necessary and deemed safe to do so.
This is an unpaid position. PEN America internships are also eligible for college credit.
- Draft social media text, graphics, and videos for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Draft quarterly newsletter on Mailchimp
- Manage content calendar and workflow for programmatic communications
- Draft and build content for the website
- Compile monthly social media and web analytics reports
- Assist with research and outreach to identify and expand the network of organizations supporting artists at risk
- Assist with the maintenance of ARC’s database of resources and organizations supporting artists at risk
- Assist with network building activities, including ARC’s regional networks and coalitions, ARC’s regional podcasts, initiatives with partners, capacity-building trainings, and engagements with the United Nations
- Attend and/or help prepare for network and coalition meetings and events
- Research and monitor issues and cases concerning the repression of artistic expression worldwide
- Knowledge of and interest in global free expression and artistic freedom issues
- Professional demeanor and the ability to work independently
- Strong research, writing, organizational, and administrative skills
- Ability to work quickly, stay highly organized, and multitask
- Fluency in internet and social media technology and platforms
- Interest in learning new skills and the flexibility to pitch in when needed
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, or other languages a big plus
Be sure to include the dates of your availability with your application.
- Fall Internship: Please submit your application between July 1 and October 15.
- Winter/Spring Internship: Please submit your application between November 1 and January 15.
- Summer Internship: Please submit your application between April 1 and June 15.
Please email a resume and cover letter (both one-page maximum) and writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line “ARC Program and Communications Internship.”
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.