Artists at Risk Connection Program Assistant
PEN America, a nonprofit organization working at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a dynamic and detail-oriented program assistant to support the day-to-day operations of our Artists at Risk Connection (ARC) program. This is a full-time position based in New York.
ARC strives to protect artists from all disciplines around the world by improving access to resources for artists at risk, enhancing connections among supporters of artistic freedom, and raising awareness about threats to artistic freedom. ARC advances this mission primarily by managing a coordination and information-sharing hub that aids, unites, and furthers the work of organizations that provide assistance to artists at risk of persecution globally.
The program assistant will provide direct support to the director of ARC on a range of ARC’s activities, including administrative, logistical, and project management tasks. They will help to manage the various workflows of program staff and assist in ARC’s core activity of helping threatened artists. The individual in this role will have opportunities for significant growth as the project evolves.
The successful candidate will be an energized and collaborative individual with a highly organized work ethic. They should have a commitment to the arts and human rights internationally. Proficiency in at least one other language is required (target languages: Spanish, Arabic, Turkish, Mandarin.) Basic familiarity with graphic design programs is a plus but not required.
- Support review of potentially at-risk individuals who are seeking ARC assistance, specifically by conducting research on human rights and artistic freedom concerns in applicants’ home countries and/or individual allegations of risk
- Research and update resources provided to artists at risk, collecting additional referral resources which may be of use to artists regarding legal assistance, language courses, mental health, and other identified needs
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of ARC’s work by tracking and reporting on project-based metrics
- Manage a range of activities in support of the program, as follows:
- Draft content for the website and social media, press statements, public communications materials, and other publications as necessary
- Research funding opportunities and assist in drafting of proposals and funding reports
- Manage database, record-keeping, expense tracking and financial reconciliation, and other administrative tasks
- Participate in the recruiting and management of interns for the program
- Manage the planning and execution of events
- Other responsibilities as necessary
- Minimum of 1-2 years of relevant office experience or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and/or artistic freedom
- Proficiency in at least one other language (target languages: Spanish, Arabic, Turkish, Mandarin)
- Excellent research, editing, and writing skills
- Proactive and able to self-manage, prioritize work assignments, and manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage communications tactfully and professionally with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- A team player with an ability to work on diverse teams with accountability and responsibility
- Expertise in digital outreach, database development, and international coalition-building a plus
- Familiarity with WordPress, G Suite, and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) a plus
SALARY AND BENEFITS
PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to [email protected]. Please use “ARC Program Assistant” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “ARC Program Assistant – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.