Artists at Risk Connection (ARC) International Programs Internship
The Artists at Risk Connection (ARC) team seeks an international programs intern who is passionate about human rights, artistic expression, and serving artists at risk and the organizations that support them.
Responsibilities will include supporting network building efforts, providing logistical and administrative support for ARC’s crisis coordination meetings on Afghanistan and Ukraine, conducting research, drafting external program communications, assisting with the creation of tip sheets based on ARC’s Safety Guide for Artists, and providing public programming support. Interested interns may also have an opportunity to assist with casework or other areas of ARC’s work.
This internship will operate from our headquarters in New York City on a hybrid schedule during normal business hours. Applicants needing a fully virtual arrangement are also welcome to apply and should indicate this requirement in their application. A limited number of paid internships are available through our Centenary Internship program and would require a commitment of 15-20 hours/week over 26 weeks. All internships are also eligible for college credit.
- Assist with network building activities, including ARC’s regional networks and coalitions (such as Amani and PAR), projects with partners, capacity-building trainings, and engagements with the United Nations and other international and regional bodies
- Support regional representatives in mapping, researching and identifying new organizations across the major ARC hubs
- Provide logistical and administrative support for ARC’s crisis coordination meetings on artist assistance in Afghanistan and Ukraine
- Support the planning of bimonthly US partner meetings
- Assist with the maintenance of ARC’s database of resources and organizations supporting artists at risk
- Draft and build content for media engagements, ARC’s website and publicly shared material
- Prepare event descriptions, suggest panelists or speakers, and assist with logistics for public programming and conferences
- Research and monitor issues and cases concerning the repression of artistic expression worldwide
- Draft social media text, graphics, and videos for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as needed
- Draft quarterly newsletter on Mailchimp as needed
- Other tasks as necessary
- Knowledge of and interest in global free expression and artistic freedom issues
- Professional demeanor and the ability to work independently
- Strong research, writing, editing, organizational, and administrative skills
- Ability to work quickly stay highly organized while paying attention to detail
- Interest in learning new skills and the flexibility to pitch in when needed
- Experience with network, coalition, or relationship building is a big plus but not essential
- Knowledge of international organizations a plus
- Knowledge of databases is helpful but not essential
- Knowledge of Canva and Mailchimp is a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian, Ukrainian, or other languages a plus
Be sure to include the dates of your availability with your application.
- Fall Internship: Please submit your application between July and September
- Winter/Spring Internship: Please submit your application between October and January
- Summer Internship: Please submit your application between February and May
Please email a resume and cover letter (both one-page maximum), along with a writing sample to [email protected]. Please include the cycle you’re applying for, and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Summer ARC International Programs Internship – Jane Doe”).
PEN America does not discriminate in its selection practices, and in order to build the strongest possible team, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.