Administrative Internship (Office Operations)
PEN America seeks a diligent, detail-oriented, and highly energetic intern to support the work of the finance and administrative department. Working closely with the office manager at PEN America, the administrative intern will gain exposure to the world of advocacy and human rights, as well as a community of writers and allies working to celebrate and defend the written word. This internship will operate in-person from our headquarters in New York City during normal business hours.
The intern will learn how to work quickly and efficiently, multitask and prioritize assignments, develop organizational skills and problem-solving strategies, and hone in on their attention to detail. Additionally, interns are invited to attend and assist at many PEN America events.
A limited number of paid internships are available through our Centenary Internship program and would require a commitment of 15-20 hours/week over 26 weeks, and would pay $15/hour for hours worked. All internships are also eligible for college credit.
- Maintenance of shared office spaces including organization of supply closet and tracking inventory of supplies
- Provide support for front desk reception as needed
- Assist the office manager with prepping conference spaces for both in-person and hybrid meetings
- Sort and deliver daily mail to appropriate departments
- Assist office manager with weekly staff lunches and in-office celebrations
- In partnership with the office manager, provide assistance with office equipment, including computers and accessories, printers, and other shared devices
- Alerting office manager to any issues with equipment or office spaces
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and apply discretion in professional and personal dealings
- Professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated capability to work independently and efficiently, prioritize and simultaneously handle multiple tasks, and adhere to deadlines
- Strong desire to learn new skills and the ability to pitch in when needed
- Excellent written communication and the ability to conduct research when needed
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, G Suite, and the Windows operating system preferred
- Interest in literature, human rights, advocacy, and/or nonprofit operations is a plus
Be sure to include the dates of your availability with your application.
- Fall Internship: Please submit your application between July and September
- Winter/Spring Internship: Please submit your application between November and January
- Summer Internship: Please submit your application between March and May
Please submit a resume and a one-page cover letter to [email protected]. Please include the cycle you’re applying for, and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Fall Administrative Internship – Jane Doe”).
PEN America does not discriminate in its selection practices, and in order to build the strongest possible team, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.
About PEN America:
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect free expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.